SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to install 6x9 speakers in the rear of my convertible and I notice that the official kit instructions mention at Step 95 "sound installlation" to be fitted to the rear of the rear seat backrest. I assume it is an adhesive neoprene/foam tape and it channels the sound through a particular area of the rear seat backrest.

See pic....

I need to get some of this tape. Can someone who has installed the official kit into the convertible post as detailed a description of this tape as possible. I have found a source to buy it but it comes in all shapes, sizes and materials.

Also, any tips in removing the trim panels (scuff plate etc) would be very appreciated.

My thanks in anticipation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Spinner, I was going to use some RIW (very dense adhesive bituminous sheeting used in construction) but it seemed someone one at Saab had beat me too it when i removed the seat (there was already patches of sound proofing stuff stuck on at random points). Anyway, i though id see how i got on with out adding any extra on - and it seems fine - no pangin' at all. So my advice is dont bother;)!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Agree with JWLANKY. I didn't bother either and there were no problems. If you really wanted, just use some bitumen sheets 2mm thickness should be more than enough.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have found a solution. Guys, not keen on skipping the sound insulation step.

It's called Soundseal, an acoustic insulation adhesive tape which comes in a variety of widths (15/25/40mm) and thicknesses. The 25mm wide, 4mm compressed/20mm expanded should suit nicely.

Unfortunately I don't plan to do a before and after so it will be difficult to establish whether it will be worth the effort. Only cost £15.

Tx! all

Spinner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts