SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just did the fuel sending replacement last week. I don't remember exactly when this CEL appeared, but it was very close to that time. I'm getting error" P0172 - Power Train. System too rich (Bank 1). I've been doing some googling and found some other postings saying the MAF could need replacing.

Does anyone have any ideas where to start?

Edit: One other thing i forgot to add, at high revs, (highway speeds) if i floor it, the car stutters and jerks. If i ride the throttle gently, i don't have this issue. Over all, the car feels sluggish and heavy.

·
Registered
867 Posts
From OBD Codes
A code P0172 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak.
There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem

Possible solutions include:

Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
Clean the MAF sensor. spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before re-installing.
Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail
Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.
Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
Hey guys. I just did the fuel sending replacement last week. I don't remember exactly when this CEL appeared, but it was very close to that time. I'm getting error" P0172 - Power Train. System too rich (Bank 1). I've been doing some googling and found some other postings saying the MAF could need replacing.

Does anyone have any ideas where to start?

Edit: One other thing i forgot to add, at high revs, (highway speeds) if i floor it, the car stutters and jerks. If i ride the throttle gently, i don't have this issue. Over all, the car feels sluggish and heavy.
check all pipes on the intake side for splits/crack & loose joints,also check the ic pipes..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think I'm going to start with the fuel lines. I had some trouble with the connectors after the install(the retainer clips broke) this cel is too coincidental.

Edit: I went out on my lunch break and checked the fuel lines and vacuum hoses in the engine compartment. (as best i could in my parking garage) Near as i can tell, nothing leaking or cut.

Time to move on to the MAF and fuel pressure regulator. I read on these forums that it's a bad idea to clean the MAF because it could damage the wiring. Should i just look at replacements?

Edit 2: Question. Is this related to my fuel sending unit replacement? It had been out for over a year and i'm wondering if this is the car adjusting to the new info or if i damaged something.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Did you have it reset with a Tech II? You realize you can't do much to this car without a Tech II.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I don't have easy access to a Tech II. I used Torque to clear the ECU, but the CEL reappears as soon as the car is started.
Hmmm...

I had mine replaced on my '03 years ago and am pretty sure they had to calibrate it with the Tech II but they could have been doing something else.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm...

I had mine replaced on my '03 years ago and am pretty sure they had to calibrate it with the Tech II but they could have been doing something else.
That's what i'm wondering. I checked everything else and nothing jumps out to my untrained eye. I wonder if calling the Sewell Saab guys would yield anything.

Do you know is there any other way to reset everything without T2? Such as pulling the battery lead for 5-10 minutes?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, i'm not sure what exactly changed, but when i went out to start my car after work Friday night, the CEL was gone and hasn't returned. I'm assuming the car recalculated for the new fuel sending unit info and adjusted its levels?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, i started the car after work yesterday and the P0172 CEL is back as well as a new P0455 - Powertrain Evaporative Emission Control Leak (Gross Leak).

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say there's a leak with one of the hoses on top of the gas tank?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts