SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO last couple of days, after the temperatures dropped, I noticed a high pitch whining noise on cold start, now this is the classic sign of sludging problem.

Thing is, it only lasts for 1 second then disappears.

Car history is:
99 Aero, first owner serviced deligently every 12000 miles, then previous owner did oil change every 6k miles - I 'm doing the same.

Current milage is 126K, and I installed the latest PCV mod, car was services 5K miles ago with an engine flush.

So, this 1 second whining - oil starvation or something else? I'd hate to do a sump drop in this weather!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Katsura said:
SO last couple of days, after the temperatures dropped, I noticed a high pitch whining noise on cold start, now this is the classic sign of sludging problem.

Thing is, it only lasts for 1 second then disappears.

Car history is:
99 Aero, first owner serviced deligently every 12000 miles, then previous owner did oil change every 6k miles - I 'm doing the same.

Current milage is 126K, and I installed the latest PCV mod, car was services 5K miles ago with an engine flush.

So, this 1 second whining - oil starvation or something else? I'd hate to do a sump drop in this weather!
I had the same on a previous Saab, the engine was sludged with a 2 second whine/squeel, so: I recommend to drop the pan!

Arnie

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers,

Sump drop it is!

It won't be done until this Saturday. think it'll last that long? Is it just pure luck on this? Any driving tips for babysitting the engine before work can be carried out?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Definately pure luck, i wouldn't risk driving the car at all personally. What weight of oil are you using?

·
Registered
433 Posts
As its an Aero I wouldnt have thought the dreaded sludge would be an issue as its had fully synth oil from new. Very very few aeros have had this problem to my knowledge. As it goes after a very short space of time it really is confusing.

Obviously dropping the sump in this climate is a right pain but if you are a worrier like me its probably your only option for peace of mind.

Hope it doesnt rain this weekend

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, hope the weather holds up...

Kermit, I'm using Mobil 1 10W40. So unlike a viscousity problem in low temp?

I was hoping it's like a catched aux belt/ pully or something but like DJ said, for peace of mind pan drop is the only way.

God knows if it's another car I'd be pissed off, but I like my 9-5 too much...

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Think Mobil 1 0W-40 is a better option for the thinner viscosity when cold. Is it an auto box? Mine likes to whine a little when cold.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
How high pitched is it? When I first got my car it had the sludge drone, but it wasn't very high pitched at all. It sounded like a low GRrroooooooOOO kinda thing. :roll:

If it's a quick chirp I would probably guess something belt related.

Try having someone else start the car with your head in the engine bay near the belts. It should be pretty obvious then.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think this one is more like an 'EEEEkkkkk' half a sec to 1 sec long.

On top of everything, the bloody battery failed. THis is not a good week for me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hmm... my car makes weird noises when it starts and makes a general whine all the time.... This forums does nothing for my confidence.

I think the car starting is my open intake sucking air in and it makes that noise even if its warm.....

The constant whine i think is my fuel pump...

Ehh... sump drop will cost me 500 bucks i dont have :cry: No bilsteins for me....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Peole, what´s up with you?

My Aero doesn´t whine, but i gave it yesterday to my Saab Dealer to clean the Oil Pan.

If my Aero had whining i had give it immediatly to the dealer.

If you control it one time, and it is clean......you should change your Oil every 10k km.
Then the Sludge never will come again.

@Katsura

I don´t know where you live, but here in Germany we only put Mobil 1 0W-40 in the Aeros.

It´s expensive, but highly recommended from Saab.
And it is Fully-Synthetik.

Your 10W-40 yould be semi-Synthetik if not mineral.

With this Oil you can wait till your Slusge Problem come......

B. Regards

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Err no, it's full synth mobile 1, and 0w40, i just made a typo in the original post.

And not all noise are related to sludge - power steering whine is another common noise from a 9-5, also likely cause is aux drive pully.

So don't automatic assume it's sludging, 9-5 is prone to this problem but people are way too eager to jump to this conclusion.

In any case I'm doing the pan check this weekend.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah my start up noise is to do with my belts/chains/pulleys and the open air intake my mechanic reckons..... It doesn't sound like a metallic whine.

Interesting mod though is the 'circumcision' of the oil pickup pipe to enlarge it so you don't get problems with oil not getting to your motor.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Katsura said:
Follow up: Sump dropped and cleaned, flushed, oil changed - noise gone :D.
Excellent!

Terrifying but excellent ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone know if the Saab 8 year extended motor warranty would still be in effect for my 1999 9-5 becuase of the sludge issue? Car feels fine but I want to have the pan checked for sludge. Previous owner had the oil changed every 6000 miles...car is currently at 110,000. I just bought it a week ago.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Katsura said:
Follow up: Sump dropped and cleaned, flushed, oil changed - noise gone :D.
Hi again,

How long did it take you ? And how did you cope with drilling or punching out the metal hiding the last 2 bolts.? Seems to be a very tricky job even with the many fine tutorials on here.

Job well done by the sounds of it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts