SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did Saab USA do this?

Ventilated seats are not available.
Manual and auto transmission are the same price.
Steering wheel with silver inserts not available on Aero.

With the manual transmission, they could offer it for $35,995 ($37,295 for Auto). Ventilated seats is something not available in many other cars in the same class. They could make the Aero different from the regular 2.3T by offering the Aero steering wheel. Perhaps put the 210hp 2.3t engine in the lower-end model for better fuel economy and lower price so at least there are some more differences between the 2.3T and Aero.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Given the desperation, I think that SaabUSA prob did lots of market research and concentrated on what people were looking for in these cars.

I would find it hard to believe that they would do this to turn sales down. It is most likely a cost saving thing: something GM is very very good at.

I hear and agree with you, but we are the enthusiast and Saab could care less about what we think. THey just want to executive to lease it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woywitka said:
It is most likely a cost saving thing: something GM is very very good at.
All these options are available in Europe. The difference between manual and auto transmission is about €3,000 (incl taxes) so that's probably around $1,500 in the US.

Sometimes I really wonder if they do any market research at all. At least they could try something different, sales can't get any worse than they are now..

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Wulf said:
All these options are available in Europe. The difference between manual and auto transmission is about €3,000 (incl taxes) so that's probably around $1,500 in the US.

Sometimes I really wonder if they do any market research at all. At least they could try something different, sales can't get any worse than they are now..
But they have tried different things. THese cars just can't compete in anything but the luxury value segment with Kia/Hyundai/Honda. They just do not handle as well, crash as well, and drive as well as a BMW MB and Audi.

It is really tuff!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Gm need to learn you need to invest money to make money....

They are starting to cotton on to the global platform concept which will bring costs down without compromising on quality.

IMO the new Saab needs to be ballpark Audi A4 or they are in trouble, unless they build it RWD (unlikely)

They need to differentiate the Aero with Awd and a turbo six from the Arc/liner with a FWD 4cyl turbo. Then they need to do a super Aero with a twin turbo six pushing out 250kw+ :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is nothing new for GM. Let's look at the history of this car and what has been removed

98-00, Curb light installed with fog light to aid seeing around the corner when your turn signal is on, Eliminated

? year Map pockets on B pillar, Eliminated

Chrome door handles to brushed aluminum

98-01, Boot (Truck) key access, 02- present, Eliminated

? year, Weather Band Eliminated

98-05, Reverse light, had two, now down to one in the '06- present sedan

98-01, Wipers and washers on headlights, 02- present, only washers

98-05, Heated Seats, 3 settings, 06-present, 2 settings

? year, Night panel, all goes dark except speedo up to 90 mph, Now entire speedo stays lit.

98-01, Front side lights come on in reverse, 02-present, Eliminated

Please add more to this list.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good points there jlthunder. Those little things like the Weatherband, Front side lights in reverse and headlight wipers are small things but makes it stand out from the crowd. Same thing as with the 9-3 and the new dash where they moved the SID from the top of the dash to the instrument cluster. Saabs are losing their edge and are edging towards becoming appliances like a Honda or Toyota.

And the thing is, they could really use those little differences in advertising to make it stand out. Oh wait, I have never seen an ad for the 9-5..

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree...market driven.

Acura did the same thing with price on the TSX = Manual and Auto same price. In fact the only option was to add Navigation.

Have you driven with the metal inserts on steering wheel? I had a 9-3 Aero loaner with that and hated it. Felt so cheap. Looks cool but that's where it stops.

Too bad about the vented seats:( . I love mine:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts