SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm just in the process of getting a hold of a Stage 4 APC unit from SD as well as 4 red series fuel injectors. I have also sourced a 3.0 Bar FPR. Is there anything else I need to consider here? I'm basically after around 200hp as a starting point. Am I better off just going with the modified APC unit and upgraded FPR for now and worry about the injectors later??

I'm very new to all this but am keen to upgrade my machine.
The car is a 1988 SAAB 900 Aero with 182,000km on the clock. Overall the car is in immaculate condition.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You're heading in the right direction. I would be sure to replace all vacuum lines if you haven't yet. After those mods, you should be looking at eliminating the cast iron downpipe elbow, and replacing with a much more seamless 2.5"-3" downpipe. I would also recommend eliminating the airbox and moving the battery to that location before doing the downpipe. A user here, dmgb5, built his own exhaust that allowed him to keep the battery in the original location. Many us just move it =]. The next step will be FMIC, Front Mount InterCooler.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great!! Thanks for the reply. Where is the best and most cost effective place to get a hold of the vacuum hoses as this hasn't been done as yet. I have the opportunity to pick up a FMIC from a 9000 (with turbo) for $90 in Perth so I might just do that and look at doing that in the future. Where can I get a 3" downpipe from - are there any aftermarket companies that supply this part?

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just been told that I won't need to upgrade the FPR if I purchase the Stage 4 APC unit and red series injectors from Swedish Dynamics. I was told that the standard ROHM will handle this will out any mods. Is this correct? I was told the standard 2.5 Bar FPR will work fine, if I was to add the 3.0 bar FPR then I would need to modify the fuel chip. I am running the L2 I believe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was also told that the 3.0 bar FPR plus the APC unit plus the injectors without a chip upgrade would run too rich and idle poorly.

This is what I was told -
"Our Red Series fuel injector sets will work with the LH2.2. or 2.4 LH but would need to retain the original 2.5 bar fpr to compensate. Use of a 3.0 bar fpr plus Red Series fuel injector sets would require fuel EPROM.
The Red Series fuel injectors are the max. output FI that can be employed using the BOSCH LH fuel management systems without the need for an EPROM. Almost all LH customers that have installed our RSFI have found a full retention of fuel econ.(typically improved fuel econ. due to the new FI), idle quality, etc. but have the fuel delivery for the 230-240 BHP+ engine output."

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
For what it's worth, I've read a lot of horror stories lately about Swedish Dynamics. VERY poor customer service, orders not being shipped in a timely manner... or at all! They were a viable source for go fast parts 10 years ago, but they've really fallen out of the game.

A lot of the stuff you are looking for is somewhat readily available (yes, even in the land down under) and CHEAP$$$. The "red" injectors are basically the same that came on later year Trionic 5 SAABs. This would be 9000's, new gen 900's, and even 99 9-3's. They are a very common upgrade generally used in conjunction with the 3.0 BAR and an upgraded fuel chip. Mike D (a tuner on this board) actually recommends the N/A new gen injectors and a 2.5 BAR (I think). He says they flow about the same amount as the "red tops" but that the spray pattern is much better. Maybe look him up and send him a PM on here...

The APC can be tweaked yourself, or by someone with good knowledge of circuit boards. I used the directions from this site: http://saabworks.com/projects/apc.html And it worked REALLY well on my old SPG. It cost a few dollars in odd parts.

You'll also want to research the vacuum advance. As you run more boost, your timing needs to adjust to compensate. SAAB offered a special distributor for this in later years, but they are extremely hard to come by.

Then yes, downpipe and better intercooler. The 9K unit you mention is really not an upgrade, or a worthwhile one at that. Many people used to go through the trouble of installing the 9k unit, but soon realized it provided very little benefit. Finding an ebay bar and plate unit, like the "type 6" mentioned above, is a much better option. It will require custom piping.

You will have a lot of fun, these cars can really scream with a few little bits added on. You've probably heard it already, but I'll say it as well... easy on that gearbox!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Clark is right about SD, sweetish dynamics. If you do a search here on god forums, you will find a lot of complaints.

The mod for the apc can also be found at 900aero.com

You are right about running too rich. Sorry I didn't catch that before. I have red top injectors and 3.0 FPR, but I've also got a custom tuned ECU to handle the rich issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for this. Where can I get a new (modified) chip from. I've found some red series injectors along with the 3.0 bar FPR but I am stumped finding a chip. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
My recently purchased 90 SPG came with the red injectors, a 2.8 FPR, Group 9 APC, and a chip from Swedish Dynamics. Its my understanding that the 3.0 FPR can give idle problems with an over rich condition, though I dont know this first hand. I do know it will put the gage a bit more then half way into the red zone and it idles great. I also have a 3" Sabre exhaust, though I haven't done the custom downpipe yet. I think you will be real happy with the mods, I know I am.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CharlieDeeSPG, I believe your model car is a LH2.4 which SD have a chip for however my model is a LH2.2 which they don't supply a chip for. I'm really hoping that someone can assist with an upgraded chip or where I can source one from.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I have heard about him but have been unable to contact him. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge or expertise to modify myself.

·
Registered
279 Posts
No I do not. My ecu came from another enthusiasts car. He decided he was done with go fast parts, so I swooped up the ecu. Sorry man =[

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I am not sure where the actual ECU is located on the car. It is a right hand drive car.
right footwell under the carpet

right next to the throttle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts