SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mulling over three options on what to do with my engine:

1) Do nothing. Around $500 has been spent on various engine tests, oilpan, cleaning the oilscreen and inspecting various bits of the engine, not including a hundred hours of diy labor on other things. I can run the car with worn chains and bad bearings and wait for the engine to kiss the sky... $

2) Replace the timing chain, main and rod bearings. Then cut and remove the balance chain from the bottom and run the car w/o it while looking into the other two major remaining items, a rebuild of the rear brakes, and power steering... $$

3) Engine out. New bearings. New chains, guides, main engine seals, clutch, clutch cable, shift linkage and possibly engine mounts and transmission shaft seal... $$$

As always, opinions and suggestions are welcome... ;)

not to waste as much bandwidth as before, link to previous post,
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51703

·
Registered
434 Posts
When I bought my SAAB, I had a blown engine (sludge galore) and it died about 50 miles later. I could have rebuilt it since the diagnosis was free.. but I chose to find another engine. Paid about 650$$ for a 72K mile engine, it turned out alright.

If I had another car to drive , I would have rebuilt it myself for the learning experience but I didn't; it was my first so dropping a new engine in pronto was needed.

For me, it would ultimately depend on how badly I needed the car now.

-Avinash

1 - 2 of 2 Posts