SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know noises are hard to diagnose but can you folks give me your thoughts?

When the car starts up from cold, she sounds normal, then as you drive away there is a noticable whine, in fact with the windows down its loud,( like someone blowing through a split piece of grass)

It will get louder (actually quite loud) as revs increase but only last say 500 yds then dissappear completely, and it only does it from cold.

1. Pulleys and belt have been changed so they should be fine
2. Engine has oil changes and is flushed each time every 3 months (shouldn't be sludge in the oil pick up)
3. ACC compressor is new, plus I start up in ECON mode, ie no ACC on......
4. I think its been there ages, just havent had the windows down.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
423 Posts
Chris,

I will be watching this post with interest - as in the last 1 to 2 weeks I have noticed the exact same thing. I also always start up in Econ mode, so certainly not ACC. :confused:

Going in for a 90,000 (Actual millage is 79,480) mile service next Friday, so will ask then if it's still there.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
pull the sump off, if only to make sure its not the pick up strainer, frequent oil changes will not help if you crank vent system is dodgy, the theory behind the noise is that after your car has sat with the engine off the oil in the oil passages drains back through the oil pick up and clears it, once you start your engine it picks up the sludge and partially blocks it again but after you have run the engine for a short time the oil thin out so the the flow is returned and the noise goes away

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Mine does it as well. What 3 things have we got in common? AUTO BOXES!! I think its just the sound the cold auto box makes before the top gets a bit of lubrication. Solution is to keep the windows closed. :confused: FWIW i always start with the ACC off altogether.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys

Having spent the morning scouring forums I have the following ideas........

1. faulty oil filter (nope its happened over sucessive changes)
2. faulty pulley (nope had them changed)
3. starter motor problem (what????)
4. blocked oil strainer (I really cant believe this, my car has so much flush put through it)

The auto box does have a whine to it, but this is loud, way louder than the intake, people turn and look :eek:

By the way I am overly cautious when the car is cold, this is very gentle rmp increases and no more than 25-30 mph when it happens :confused:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
That means all 3 of us are gonna be needing a new block in the near future Chris. The fact all 3 cars do it, points to a quirk for me. I'm not gonna worry about it, i've got enough on my plate as it is. :(

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SahhhB said:
My car does it too....with a manual transmission.
There goes the theory then :roll:

We dont all have the same intake :confused:
We dont have the same dump valves :confused:

I dunno, but I am surprised just how loud it is, which suggests a lot of wear :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
i found my car a few weeks made a whining noise for a while after starting from cold.turned out the strainer in the sump was the prob.saab garage said it was blocked they cleaned it or renewed it(not sure what they exactly done to it as they sorted it for nothing) but anyway after that the noise was gone.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This evening we went out about 7pm, the car squealed so loud even the wife heard it, then when we returned at 10.30 pm it did it again, I'm convinced its not gearbox.............looks like sump off time then :(

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Kermit said:
Mine does it as well. What 3 things have we got in common? AUTO BOXES!! I think its just the sound the cold auto box makes before the top gets a bit of lubrication. Solution is to keep the windows closed. :confused: FWIW i always start with the ACC off altogether.

I have had this whining sound as well... It seems to be more related to rolling speed than RPM on mine though... I wonder if we are talking about the same noise...

I was starting to suspect it might have something to do with the wheel bearings, transaxles or another part I can't think of its name in English, but swedes call it "drivknut"...

--Matt

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The loudest sound was at 25-28 mph and around 1500 rpm :confused:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Mine is definately tranny related, i let the car warm up for 1 minute prior to drive off. The noise is a whinning sound that gets higher pitched with rpm increase, then drops down again when the box changes up. Chris, how could yours possibly be sludging, most of your mileage is on fastish A roads, and you flush/change oil and filter religiously. All my driving is in stop/start conditions around town, notoriously bad for sludging problems. How many miles has the new block got on it? :( I reckon its a slipping belt making the noise.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kermit, you and Wessy are saying the same things, but with one new engine under my belt I'm not sure I can discount the sludging issue :confused:

I am happy to turn heads with the dump valve, with the rumble from the stainless 3" pipe, even from the induction roar, but this is embarrasing ;oops:

The only thing that suggests its not oil / sludge related is that if you let the car warm up on the drive, it still makes this noise as you move down the road, the tranny noise is there but different, I duuno :evil:

The pulleys and belt have been done, even the ACC compressor (which I think turns with the belt) is new.......

What else turns on the ancilliary belt? Water pump?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Yep, water pump also on aux drive belt. Lets get this right... does it only make the noise on pulling away after standing for a while. It does this just once and is then quiet, or repeatedly makes this noise whilst the engine is running? :roll:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok it does it on (usually) its first (cold) start up of the day.

She idles fine, sounds fine, as you move off a squeal / whine (like a kid blowing through a split blade of grass) can be heard getting louder up to about 30 mph, it then dies away, in all about 500 yds have been covered.

If you try later to replicate this speed and load, no noise is heard :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kermit said:
Belt temporarily spinning on a cold pulley, i'd stakes Wessy's reputation on it!:cheesy:
I hope so dude :lol:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts