SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0 Turbo / Manual Transmission / about 85,000 miles..

So today a vibration started in my engine, at least I think. I can feel it the second I start the car. It seems to have started today. It happens in all gears including neutral. Seems to be steady and a bit worse at higher RPM's...

Checked exhaust and that seems fine, don't think it's transmission because it happens even in neutral. Which leads me to the engine but also leaves me clueless.... Any thoughts??? Oil level is fine... Any thoughts from anyone????

~Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cliche` said:
May be a busted engine mount.
whoa, you're in Ct. as well... Out of all the people who could reply. You probably live around the damn corner or something... You stalking me??? just kidding..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Grand Master B said:
So today a vibration started in my engine, at least I think. I can feel it the second I start the car. It seems to have started today. It happens in all gears including neutral. Seems to be steady and a bit worse at higher RPM's...

Checked exhaust and that seems fine, don't think it's transmission because it happens even in neutral. Which leads me to the engine but also leaves me clueless.... Any thoughts??? Oil level is fine... Any thoughts from anyone????

~Tim
It's possible that you may have an issue with your accessory drive belt.
I think a search will reveal a good number of results.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tim, I have the same setup as you with about 55k on the tacho and get the same thing. Me thinks its the engine mount too. Since I am a little new to Saabs (coming from Jeeps and a Saabaru) I will have to investigate myself. I guess it does not bother me reallly. If its a mount...maybe a self-fix? Dunno. :roll:

Cheers
Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you to all thus far. I've tried to search and haven't come up with too much???

Accessory drive belt??? Looks like this one may have to go into the shop... I don't like the shop... LOL

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Is this something you can hear or just feel?
Poor driveability across the rpm range sounds more like a spark issue than a slapping belt.

There have been a few failures of the power steering pumps reported here. That is driven off the camshaft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my power steering pump had been blowing some fluid out of the cap???

And I can feel it and sort of hear it. It just made the car a little louder... Not that it's loud, just a sounds that can surely be heard and felt.

Would a spark plug cause such a vibration???

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Grand Master B said:
Would a spark plug cause such a vibration???
It's hard to know what you mean by vibration. Bad spark could cause engine shudder, which some might call vibration. A spark plug that is simply not tight enough can cause problems across the whole rpm range. Generally this happens after plugs have been changed and not torqued adequately (if at all). There are other causes of bad spark.

Your PS pump should not be "blowing fluid" or making weird noises. If you have a PS problem it often will be made worse by turning the steering wheel. Pop the hood and watch/listen to the pump while someone turns the wheel with the car idling. Check the pump fluid level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spark plugs haven't been changed and the powersteering pump isn't making any weird noises... It's a solid vibration. rattles things inside the car like sunglasses on the dash. Almost like something isn't meshing perfectly or again, could be an engine mount issue... Not sure??? I guess I'll know that one if my engine falls to the ground while driving... sigh... I wanted to say it had something to do with the transmission but since it happens just sitting still in neutral it is leading me to an engine problem... but who am I to say... thanks to all

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Grand Master B said:
I wanted to say it had something to do with the transmission but since it happens just sitting still in neutral it is leading me to an engine problem... but who am I to say... thanks to all
A clutch problem could show symptoms in neutral, since the pressure plate is still engaged. Does vibration change when you press clutch pedal?

Kind of rare, but a clutch part could break off and fall in the bell housing leaving you with a non-balanced drivetrain. I've seen people destroy a clutch in ways that make you wonder, but I suppose there could be very rare damage due to manufacturing defects alone.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If the cause were a bad mount, the vibration would be more severe when you shift into gear and/or when accelerating. That said, the root of the problem probably lies with an out-of-round belt- or gear-driven accessory, methinks.
But it's rather hard to tell. Any other details you can think of?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I'd definitely look into the serpentine belts/pulleys.

IMO, with 85K on the clock, these are over due for replacement.
On the ng 900 these had a life span of 30 to 50K, many lasted longer than that...
But, once the pulley "lets go", you are stranded, minus the paddle..:cheesy:
So, this may or may not be the vibration cause, but it must be checked out.
This should be done, I'd say at each seasonal service, and is easy to do..

The "service free vehicle" is the one broken down on the side of the road. old mechanics proverb..

The engine mounts use a very soft non-durable rubber, at 50 to 100K miles the rubber is now hard and easily breakable..
But even after breakage occurs, the car is still driveable...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok Update...

I will check the belts and pulleys, is this something I can pretty much do by looking or should I just bring it into a shop and get bent over the hood???

And to update...

When in gear, if I take my foot of the gas the turbo gauge seems to drop down to just about nothin' however if I put it in neutral it comes up a bar or two to the normal spot and boosts up when stepping on the gas?????

I'll pull the engine cover off tomorrow in the 15 degree weather and see if I un-earth anything...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Poor driveability across the rpm range sounds more like a spark issue than a slapping belt.
though this could be a number of issues, this is the first thing that came to mind...more specifically, a misfire. what exactly can you hear (at idle and throttle application)? i would hook up a OBD-II and see if any codes are logged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll get an OBD hooked up Monday or Tuesday.

And the car is over all just a little louder (not from the exhaust) but the vibration felt through the entire car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so... it's still doing it. Not bringing any codes up...

the kicker now, it will go away here and there.

It also seems, on two days when we've had rain, maybe once the car gets wet somewhere it goes away???

sigh... frustrating...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been experiencing the same problem, I took my car to a friend and determined the passenger side engine mount had cracked, vibration should be fixed upon installing new one ordered from Saab today. Will let you know the outcome.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts