SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm new here, so I'm not sure if this is the right area, it might need to be in the 9-3 area, but I don't know my Saabs, so I guessed :lol:

Anyway, I'm looking at fitting a Saab Turbo engine to another car (a small 80s RWD GM coupe) but I have a couple of questions.

I have 2 choices for engines, the first is the 2.3 HPT (or FPT? I can't remember) engine, and the second is the 3.0 V6 Turbo (GM based) engine.

Which one is the more tuneable one? I'll be looking for around 300bhp, I know the 4 cylinder is capable of that, but I'm not sure about the V6?

Would I be able to get 300bhp from the V6 relatively easily?

And finally, if I go for the 4 cylinder, which clutch and flywheel would I need to use to mount it to a RWD Vauxhall/Opel Omega gearbox (which is the same as the Cadillac Catera, if that came with a manual shift?)

Any help would be great, and sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Robin.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
4 cylinder HOT (High Output Turbo) for sure. It's either from the 9-3 Viggen or the 9-5 Aero. Lighter and much more tunable. The GM V6 can't be tuned as much because of the asymmetrical turbo. (Turbo only runs off one bank of cylinders.) Plus the block it's self sucks, not meant to be turbocharged in the first place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking, I know in the UK a few people have tried to use the exhaust header from the Saab engine on the Vauxhall V6, and had issues, although I put this down to the high compression of the Vauxhall spec engine.

I suspected the 4 banger might be the better option anyway, so thatnks for confirming my thoughts :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thats pretty cool, don't see many of those around any more! I had a mint mk1 astra SR a good few years ago and wish now I still had it! That woul dhave been cool to drop a new lump in that! Had the proper recaro seats and everything!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
You would be better off getting a B234 from a 9000 Aero as opposed to the B235 from the Viggen/9-5 Aero. It has a stronger oil pump and is not prone to sludging like the B205/235 variants. (also cheaper to buy)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bammers said:
Thats pretty cool, don't see many of those around any more! I had a mint mk1 astra SR a good few years ago and wish now I still had it! That woul dhave been cool to drop a new lump in that! Had the proper recaro seats and everything!
It'll either be a Manta, or an Ascona, but that'd mean going to Germany for the car, so Manta is more likely.

I had a Nova SR, I loved that, funny really because it was a bit rubbish :lol:

Kermit said:
You would be better off getting a B234 from a 9000 Aero as opposed to the B235 from the Viggen/9-5 Aero. It has a stronger oil pump and is not prone to sludging like the B205/235 variants. (also cheaper to buy)
Does it use the same gearbox bolt pattern? That's the important thing really, as long as it'll fit a Vauxhall bolt pattern, I'm not bothered what engine it is really

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Kermit said:
Also T5 not T7......the hassle of trying to get a Trionic7 engine to work in a Manta would be :eek:

I suspect even an earlier T5 engine won't be easy.

Maybe even better to go earlier for a DI/APC 2.3 FPT setup...:confused:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I don't think it'd be too hard to get the T7 to work, it's still the same engine, and he'll have all the same sensors so he won't throw any CEL's and the engine will know what he's doing. He will have to go through genuinesaab.com or something similar to get a custom tune.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Why not have a chat with the folks at Abbott Racing :confused:

www.abbottracing.com
Whoops! I thought he was in the US for some very very strange reason... ;oops:

·
Registered
315 Posts
A B234 can be used in any car that came with a B235, so I would have to assume that the trans bolt pattern is the same.

I would also probably convert such a project to something such as MegaSquirt, so you could tune it yourself with a $100 laptop and a wideband A/F gauge. MS is capable of running the DI, but you lose the knock detection(which wasn't available with T5, so really you lose nothing).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, everyone is always talking about how awesome Nira is... but it sounds like its a REAL pain in the *** to get setup properly. I have only followed two projects involving the system, but both people ended up hiring a tuner to help them through the process because it was just too daunting. I think a big part of the problem is almost all the documentation is in Swedish, which is quite the hurdle for most people.

MS, on the other hand, is about 1/4 the price of Nira and there are people running it who can provide 'base maps' to at least get your car started and running decently, allowing you to do the fine tuning yourself.

Anyways, just my $0.02 since I have no personal experience in either. Just have been researching a similar project(B234 in an e30 325ix) and came to the conclusion that MS made more sense to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've already got an ECU, from my friend's last project, as he's now upgraded.

This is what I'll be using - http://www.gotech.co.za/prodpro.htm

I got it very cheap, and my friend (the same one) is a mapping guru at a UK tuning company.

This seemed like the sensible option, I know a lot of people use Megasquirt, but I never really fancied using something I'd assembled myself to control my engine, as I'm not great with electrics.

With the Go-Tech ECU, my friend can make a wiring loom for me, so that removes me from the equation completely :lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Best of luck would be interested to see how you get on.

I used to fantasise about putting a 2.3HPT in my 1990 VW polo classic when I was a student;oops: still think it's be great fun for a track car;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts