SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening gentlemen, I have an engine swap quistion for you. I am the proud owner of a rusted out, but running 1996 saab 900 se 2.0T manual. For sale near me is a 1996 saab 900 se 2.5 auto.

Quistion is what would it take to swap my 2.0 manual into the 2.5 auto car? I know it will be a LOT of work, that part doesn't concern me too much, I'm just wondering if there any extreme incompatibilities in frame/body or other problems.

If anyone can give me a preview of what to expect, that would be great thanks.

·
Registered
18,379 Posts
WAG is the engine. mounts, and the harness / ECU. I would start spending some time in the EPC looking for where the V6 is listed separately.

But, you also have the manual into auto swap... so you've got the clutch mechanism and tranny of course. '96 will be the cable so that simplifies it aside from the RPITA part of ataching the cable under the dash. Elepant nose needed. I have no idea if the firewall is punched for the clutch on an auto.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'm acronym illiterate. Can you define WAG and EPC? I looked around the internet trying to find out if anyone has done v6 to I4 swap, but couldn't find anything. I'll keep looking though.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
EPC is the Electronic Parts Catalog. WIS (Workshop Information System) is the other one you'll see a lot around here. I'm not sure what WAG stands for, either, other than Wives and Girlfriends, which obviously isn't what Bob's referring to. :) The EPC and WIS can be downloaded from links in the forum. The WIS is also available online at www.saabwisonline.com, and pretty much the entire EPC is on www.esaabparts.com, where you can also buy parts, although I'd expect that you wouldn't need much if you have a complete parts car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EPC is the Electronic Parts Catalog. WIS (Workshop Information System) is the other one you'll see a lot around here. I'm not sure what WAG stands for, either, other than Wives and Girlfriends, which obviously isn't what Bob's referring to. :) The EPC and WIS can be downloaded from links in the forum. The WIS is also available online at www.saabwisonline.com, and pretty much the entire EPC is on www.esaabparts.com, where you can also buy parts, although I'd expect that you wouldn't need much if you have a complete parts car.
Ok, thanks a lot. Yeah If I didn't have a complete parts car I would never attempt this, but since I do I'm hoping I won't have to do much fabing working, and engineering.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
There is a dude on reddit who recently swapped a 2.3T into his V6 9-5... Electronically speaking, that's a much bigger commitment but he didn't encounter many roadblocks. I think a NG900 would be much easier. I'm guessing the biggest headache is probably switching the instrument cluster. Everything else is probably a bunch of nuts and bolts and removing/replacing wiring, but not much actual inventing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts