SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, so I bought my 04 Saab Linear with a world of problems - including worn mounts. I finally tackled these mounts - and had no idea what the car felt like before with good ones. Needless to say, they made a very big difference in how solid the car feels. And with this DIY, you can save a significant amount of money and in my case, end up with a new tool in the garage (Vice)

First, you will need the bushings. I got mine from Eeuro parts.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/39893/Engine-Mount-Rear-Driver-Side-61345096/
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/39894/Engine-Mount-Passenger-Side-Rearward-61345099/

If you prefer, you will need a new exhaust gasket as you have to unbolt it to get the bolt out of one of the mounts.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/39660/Exhaust-Gasket-Catalytic-Converter-to-Flex-Pipe-25348864/

And then I purchased this Vice off Amazon:

When you compare that, vs the 2 near $100 mount assemblies, it is worth it.

Onto the install!

Jack up the car how you prefer.

The two mounts we are removing:

For the passenger side, you will need a 17mm socket (not wrench) and 18mm

For the driver side, you will need a 13mm with a decent extension for the exhaust, and an 18mm for the mount.

Next we work on removing the busings:

As you can see here, mine was literally falling apart

When using the vice, you want the metal lip sitting on the edge so you can press the rubber bushing out:

After the old bushing was removed, I cleaned the hole with brake cleaner

Remove the larger one. The trick here is to use an extension that fits inside the hole in the mount. Work with the mount HORIZONTAL. Press it out some, flip it to the other side, press the other side out some, flip it again, and so on until it is out.

When I got it to this point, I just gave it a few good whacks with a hammer to finish it off.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
From there I greased the new bushings:

Make note of which way the bushing was, so you put the new ones in the same way. (Just look at my pictures)
To get the big one started, press in the middle of the metal until it begins to go in.

From there, it is similar to before but without the extension.

However, you want to press on the PLASTIC OUTER RING some here, some there, trying to keep the busing flat until it is all the way in. Be patient, don't just crank down one side. Tighten, flip, tighten flip, not just horizontal, but any angle you can get to keep it as flat as possible.

And the other side:

Tada:

Now the driver side has a little heat shield. Just pry it off with a screwdriver:

Remove and replace those bushings as before:

Reinstall and you are finished!

Hope this saves you guys some money so you can buy me something for Christmas!!

PS: The timelapse is due to a 13mm deep socket playing hide and seek in the garage.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Awesome job!

I have a couple of questions. Any difficulties unbolting the mounts? No need to jack up anywhere else in addition to your initial spots?

Besides replacing the bushings this sounds a lot less difficult than I thought.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't have any difficulties with my bolts. The only pointer on that topic is on the driver side, there is a nut that looks like it can be taken off on the outer side of the mount. However, it is welded in place - thus, you must undo the exhaust and get the bolt from the other side. What wonderful engineering lol.

I don't see the need to jack up the car anywhere else, just high enough so you can fit with a ratchet underneath... and of course a jack stand or two.

Also, don't let the bushings scare you. With a vice, it is really easy. The first one might present a slight learning curve, but hopefully the tips in the DIY will make things easier. The second one was cake for me after the first.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nice write up!
Did you try to put them in the freezer? I've seen that it could help "shrinking" the bushings a bit.

I might have to do the same on my car, i guess they must look very similar.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't have an issue with getting them out so I didn't have a reason to try or think of something to help me.

But wouldn't freezing rubber make it more rigid, creating a bigger problem as it won't flex when you're trying to press it out? (Especially for the smaller bushings with the lips on both sides)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I didn't have an issue with getting them out so I didn't have a reason to try or think of something to help me.

But wouldn't freezing rubber make it more rigid, creating a bigger problem as it won't flex when you're trying to press it out? (Especially for the smaller bushings with the lips on both sides)
Well I meant to put the new ones in. But I guess it wasnt that hard with the good technique ;ol;

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah I see! Well if freezing them makes them more stiff, it would still make the pressing the smaller ones in more difficult I would think, because the lip has to bend to go through the mount still. The big ones have a hard plastic ring around the outside, so I doubt those would be different either way. Just my 2 cents!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.