SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any forums on the net dedicated to technical engine matters, particuarly engine rebuilding, stuff like that? Real geeky type stuff.:D

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Alexis, if you're looking for engine information, you've got the right place and the right cars. You're 9000 and 900 are well known enough that there are many people on this forum with very technical knowledge. I've definately seen some crazy technical info about the c900 in either of their forums, including comparisons of cam duration from different versions of c900 motors and lots of stuff about engine rebuilding. Very technical stuff.

David, you're the one doing the shooting down this time, apparently. You drive a car that has only been out for 2 years. I doubt there are even many people who have taken theirs to an indy mechanic yet, let alone taken apart the engine themselves. They're all under warranty still for the most part, so why would they have? Technical knowledge builds as more and more people have experienced the inner workings of the cars. If you want knowledge of how to get the bumper cover off your car to exist, then chisel it off youself and tell us how and what you did wrong. Dont complain, be a pioneer.

Once some real technically inclined people start to get their second hand SS's, you'll see that knowledge start to build. Right now the people posting for the most part about the SS are people who bought their cars to be trouble free, excellent cars, and to look cool, not to tinker with them mechanically (yet)

And about posting in the right forum, your odds are a lot better to get an answer if you ask the right people. :roll: I couldnt even tell you how to set the clock in an SS, and if you asked that question in the ng900 forum, I'd tell you where you can post to get the right info...

PS Nice cars Alexis. That LPT could be made quite fast with a mere APC installation and (dont rememeber if they already had one?) an intercooler installation. I'd start with a search of the classic 900 performance forum re: adding APC to an LPT :cool:

And, just to be a little more obnoxious, please post pics of your cars:cheesy: Everyone appreciates seeing more cool saabs. Except possibly David...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
well excuse me, but i was actually trying to be helpful. i dont spend much time in the SS forum, but if they dont help you figure something out im sorry, but dont rag on me for trying to help the guy. he asked where would be a good place to ask about engine rebuilding and i told him my best opinion! hopefully alexis found what i told him helpful, and if not: im sorry!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
David, I can honestly say that not a single thing from your description tallies with my experience of these forums. It appears you have had an unfortunate experience when your question in one forum was not answered, and that has affected your judgement of the whole site. It does happen, particularly in the more heavily used forums like the 9-3SS one, that questions go down the page fast and do not always get an answer. In my own forum I go back through the posts each day and try to reply to any that have not had an answer, but sometimes it simply gets too busy to give everyone an answer.

If people were to use the search function more, traffic on the site would be reduced dramatically, but that does not change the fact that we acknowledge that many people will not do that at first, and you will often see members answering the same questions over and over again to newcomers, and doing so helpfully. You say that newcomers starting threads in the wrong forums get shot down - I have been on this site for a while now, and every single person posting by mistake in the C900 Workshop has been treated with courtesy by the other members. Every time I move a post to the correct forum I write 'Welcome to Saab Central' if it is a new member.

In terms of technical information the level of knowledge and discussion in the workshops is formidable - for sure there are threads about coloured indicators or clear, stock or aftermarket wheels, but that is not a substitution for technical experience, of which there is already a bewildering array, it is another aspect of owning a car that people are interested in.

It sounds like you have already formed a conviction in your mind that that is how the site is, but your impressions and mine could not be more different. Rock the boat - like you say, it's a forum, opinions differ and people as a rule treat each other's opinions with respect, but don't generalise about the site based purely on your own fairly limited experience and expect it to go unchallenged.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
I deleted my post as you rightly pointed out Iwas speaking with the limited background of the 93 SS forums where real mechanical problems are not yet comon place. This is indeed the Lounge where problems concerning all and older models are concerned. Thank you Jezzadee for correcting this.:nono;

1 - 8 of 8 Posts