SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm all quite new to the forums and such. Just wondering if you guys could help me out! This might be a stupid question.. But I've recently found a 1998 CSE turbo with a solid body, but an engine that knocks. The body of the 98' is in a lot better shape than my 94' CSE Turbo. Is it possible for me to swap the engine from my 94' into the 98' body? Wondering if there was any changes that were made between the two years that I need to know of before swapping. They look quite similar from under the hood. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
They're both b234 engines, Im about to swap in a 93 b234 from a CSE into my 97 cse, from the looks of it they look identical. Still waiting for the engine to be delivered. the Throttle body might be different depending on if you have TCS or not

·
Registered
253 Posts
You might be lucky or not depending on the exact production time of the 94. That year was a transition year from the old to the new engine style. Major difference is the bolt pattern on the transmission side that was changed to a GM style pattern. If your donor car still has the old style engine it will not fit on the gearbox of the 98.
Look at the two small bolts connecting the head to the timing cover. On the new engine the bolts go in from the top, on the old ones they go in from the bottom.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
You should be able to swap in just the engine, and perhaps the transmission if necessary. The old engine ought to run fine with the 98 wiring harness if all the connectors and sensors can be hooked up. The engines themselves were mechanically identical I thought.

·
Registered
253 Posts
No, there are not. Most important, the crank is different. Older engines ran jetronic or T5.2 and they have the TDC sensor behind the crankshaft pulley whereas the post-94 T5.5 engines have a slotted disc on the crank internally with the sensor mounted in the engine block near the flywheel. Those two systems produce different signals and are not compatible at all.

Only way to put an old style engine in a newer car would be to install it together with an old style gearbox and the complete fuel system with wiring harness and ECU. But that would require major rewiring of the whole car, not to mention ABS compatibility issues, need for a different EDU etc. For sure it's a lot easier to source the right engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I checked the manufacturing date of the 94 and it was manufactured in June of 1994. I should just be able to swap the motor in because they are the same. Don't think the 94 has TCS either.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
nwmarlen: you're going to have big issues using a 1993 engine....
x2 on this! Even though they look the same, there are enough differences in the two engine/transmission/electrical management to guarantee a very painful experience for you. Stop delivery on that engine if you can and source yourself a 94+

·
Registered
316 Posts
I realize that now, and doesn't look like i'd get my shipping cost back so I'm gonna take delivery of it and sell it locally, anyone want a 93 9000 engine with 134k? haha

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I realize that now, and doesn't look like i'd get my shipping cost back so I'm gonna take delivery of it and sell it locally, anyone want a 93 9000 engine with 134k? haha
At least you're in WA where there's a good saab following. Offer it for trade with a newer motor or for sale on CL and this forum--you might get lucky...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts