SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is involved in swapping an engine? It's going from a B204S to a 2.3 turbo (94-) of some sort - so a B234...

I'm guessing that the inlet manifold and the surrounding plethora is the same.

The ECU is different

The APC may/may not be necessary depending on year (mine's got it now though)

I've got an intercooler to go on.

Exhaust manifold and turbo should be same, as it's going to be a Garrett T25 -unless I can find a manual aero engine (is the exhaust downpipe different for the Mitsi TD04?)

I'm thinking the wiring harnass is the same as the ECU connects to it all?

I'll probably keep my downpipe, so is the lambda sensor the same?

Whilst not neccesary for function, I'm getting an aftermarket boost gauge so I'll have equivalent of FPT instruments.

Anything I've forgotten?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
the gearbox from the 2.0l will fit the 2.3 but the diff ratio will be very differant and this will upset the trionic cus that sets boost by compering engine speed with road speed and if you fit a 2.3 ecu with out the gearbox the ecu may get confused (it does on the NG900)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far

The owner's manual shows tranny ratios are different between N/A and turbo, but nothing between engine sizes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
boxman said:
the gearbox from the 2.0l will fit the 2.3 but the diff ratio will be very differant and this will upset the trionic cus that sets boost by compering engine speed with road speed and if you fit a 2.3 ecu with out the gearbox the ecu may get confused (it does on the NG900)
I know Saab redesigned the transmission in '94; do you know if it still bolts up the same as the pre-'94 models?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My understanding is the gearbox input shaft diameter is different. Bolt pattern may also be different but am not 100% certain.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What others say

Neo says a 2.3'll just drop in if it's from the same year car - apparently the 2.3 underwent some changes in the following years.

2stroke say lots of pipework to be done

my garage thinks the inlet manifold is different

:confused:

For the extra 12mm of stroke: is the engine sitting higher towards the bonnet or lower towards the ground?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
the engine block is the same size the stroke is lengthened by having a longer through in the crank but shorter conrods, a 94on 20 lpt is the same to look at as the 2.3 so its not that hard to do a swop, inlet manifolds will be the same, the only thing you will need to worry about is an intercooler if your car doesnt have one and the boost pressure control solinoid if it doesnt have one of those and the ecu, the rest is just a straigh swop of componants.

and a pre 94 gear box will not fit a post 94 engine :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts