SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic told me my engine is beat, and i need to replace it. i have a 1999 saab 9-5 base model, with the 2.3L ecopower, i would like to swap this with a more powerful model like the aero, how can i do this, does the ecopower mean it can run off the corn fuel, and do you know of used engine sites?

so basically i want to swap out my engine with an aero, what needs to be done?

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is no "Aero" engine. The differences between the Aero and the Ecopower is the ECU and the turbo. So you can look for any 2.3t engine. Even if you get an engine that came from an Aero you would still need the ECU upgrade and the TD04 turbo to get the same power.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so to make it an aero i would need a different turbo and "aero" ecu?
i have heard on the 1999 9-5 that the turbo on the aero model and base model is the same, except for the ecu, which controls turbo boost

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Aero engines are also labled ecopower - standard engine has the garrett GT17 turbocharger - aero has mitsubishi TD-04. They are different for MY99 cars....

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
bmxfratboy said:
My mechanic told me my engine is beat, and i need to replace it. i have a 1999 saab 9-5 base model, with the 2.3L ecopower, i would like to swap this with a more powerful model like the aero, how can i do this, does the ecopower mean it can run off the corn fuel, and do you know of used engine sites?

so basically i want to swap out my engine with an aero, what needs to be done?
A motor swap????:eek: :confused: Does your motor still run? That seems a bit out-of-control to me. My suggestion is to get another opinion from a different mechanic before you go any further.

and the ecopower doesnt mean it can run off pure ethanol....it simply means that it is an economic yet powerful engine because of the turbo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my motor does run, i broke the bushing that connects the piston connector rod to the crankshaft, and got little bits of metal all in the system, so if i wanted to convert my car to an aero, i would need the mitsubishi turbo and a new ecu?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The differences are somewhat minimal.

The injectors are larger in the Aero, the turbo is a TD-04 as you know, the Aero has a tad more aggressive tune (thanks to the turbo). Also, for some reason the manual transmissions on the Aeros have 2 more bolts that secure it to the sump, probably just to secure it better, not sure though. The oil and water lines to the turbo are also slightly different. If your going to go Aero, I'd call up Genuine Saab and ask if they can get you a TD-04 and put the machined cold side and 06+ intake pipe for better flow. Might as well! :cool:

If you have just destroyed a bearing, your engine may be rebuildable, and it's probably cheaper to do that than to buy a whole new engine, but I'd get quotes before you commit. I'm curious as to why the bearing grenaded though, does your engine have a sludge problem?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i got a new engine, a b235, what is the difference between the B235E, L and R, say i got a E, i am guessing that is base model, and put a "aero" turbo on it, mitsubishi turbo, part #55559825, and got an aero ecu, part #5169032 and put it all together, would this work

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Ditch the car and buy an aero if thats the aim :confused:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
bmxfratboy said:
if i got a new engine, a b235, what is the difference between the B235E, L and R, say i got a E, i am guessing that is base model, and put a "aero" turbo on it, mitsubishi turbo, part #55559825, and got an aero ecu, part #5169032 and put it all together, would this work
Yes. All the E, L, and R are signifying is what turbo and ECU it has.

Chris 9-5 said:
Ditch the car and buy an aero if thats the aim :confused:
Would that be cheaper? Even if his needs a rebuilt engine?

EDIT: WOOO 3000th POST!!!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well he'd get a decent brake / suspension set up too :confused:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Well he'd get a decent brake / suspension set up too :confused:
Hmm valid. But I don't think he cares about that as much considering he posted about raising it since he takes it off-road for biking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts