SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the engine in a 2001 2.3 Linear wagon with a 2002 Aero engine (A dealer 'warranty replacement' 4 years ago with 40,000 miles). Here is my checklist, what else should I do to have a trouble free car?

Check List:

- Reseal Engine: Front & Rear Main Seals, Oil Pump O-Ring, Valve Cover gasket, Distributor Seal, CPS O-Ring
- Transmission: Shaft Seals (2) ; Oil pump Seal / Torque Converter Optional / Inspect then decide
- Starter & Alternator rebuild
- Replace Water Pump
- Replace Serpentine Belt, tensioner & Pulleys

- Motor Mounts – How to inspect / Evaluate?
- Hoses – many were replaced in 2009, Check / evaluate others
- (Mitsubishi turbo end play feels ok…)

Other:
- Check Electric fans, Check Brush length, lube?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How to determine if Motor Mounts need replacing

Is there a test for knowing if 'Vibration Dampers' / engine mounts need replacement - out of the car? i.e. my engine is out, it is a good time / easy to replace. Other than examining for cracks, etc., Is there a 'squish test'?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How to Measure Timing Chain Stretch

Smai, thanks for the reminder, documentation shows 40,000 miles on the 'new' engine, the pan looked very clean, but checking the chain makes sense.

Is it just a straight forward check for how far the tensioner has extended? I found the WIS section on how to replace the tensioner (Engine @ 0 / TDC, hold the chain, etc.), but no mention of how much stretch is acceptable or how to measure it. Can I 'buy a clue'?! ;-)

how many miles are on the "new " motor you may want to look at the timing chain tensioner see how far it has stretched

·
Registered
838 Posts
on the back side of the motor pulley side, theres a 12mm bolt you remove, there is a spring behind it so be careful, then remove the part that it was bolted into, remove it slowly, measure the gap from the housing to the base of the plunger 15mm is the limit

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chaint tensioner measurement

Thanks you. I removed the spring and plunger, then the tensioner assembly, and measured aprox. 12-13mm. I released and retracted the plunger, reinstalled, turned the motor over again and confirmed the same measurement, so all OK there!

on the back side of the motor pulley side, theres a 12mm bolt you remove, there is a spring behind it so be careful, then remove the part that it was bolted into, remove it slowly, measure the gap from the housing to the base of the plunger 15mm is the limit

·
Registered
838 Posts
yea i dont really know how far it is on a new engine but you have 2-3mm left before the chain need to be replaced, id think about only because the motor is already out and it isnt easy or cheap (unless you roll it in) to do it later $200-300 extra bucks now vs about 1000 and 2-3 days of down time later ?

for me id do it now and be set for 100k+ especially if you dont know if there is any sludge

speaking of sluge did you pull the oil pan and check for it ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cam Chain Stretch Measurement

I checked the pan, it was very clean, the paperwork for the dealer rebuild shows the new short block " 9483140 short engine B235", new head, 2 cams, gaskets, O-rings, etc. but I only have page 1, not sure if there was a page 2... So not sure if they put in a new chain or not. At best it was 4 years and 40,000 miles ago, so maybe I should do it. How do you check to determine if the guides need replacing?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaning Valve Cover

When I started cleaning the valve cover of my 'new to me', '40,000 mile Saab factory warranty replacement engine', it became apparent that the dealer did not clean the two small pipes connected to the breather hose. They were both badly plugged, and required serious soaking in solvent and 'roto-routering'. (I used weed-trimmer line in an electric drill to clear it...)

Question: Does the upper end of the two pipes just open into the compartment? (By compartment, I mean the area enclosed by the 'plate' at the top of the pipes, sort of a chamber fed by the PVC hose, but open to the valves.) What purpose do the pipes serve if there is a 'slot' in the compartment?

I wasn't able to find it in the WIS, but I'm not an expert at searching there, or in this forum, so apologies if it has been discussed before...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.