SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 9-3 has a bad transmission leak and reverse gear is also gone. I need the leak fixed now because the transmission overheats the engine and pops coolant hoses, even after just a short drive to the store after refilling tranny fluid.

My '00 9-3 is my donor car and has 40k less miles, new clutch and new master cylinder, but the engine needs a new waterpump.

I have looked at the procedure for replacing the transmission, but what about swapping the whole engine? Can I leave the transmission attached? I prefer to do it that way if possible, because it kinda makes more sense to use the donor engine anyway, vs adding the donor transmission to the newer car, plus swap in the donor clutch because I'm not wasting that..?

I'm not far along in my planning, it just kinda hit me today that I can't drive this car anymore until this is fixed.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
One of our Saab-retired members here used to rent an engine lift for this job. But instead of using it on the engine, he used it to pcik up the front of the car once he had the engine lowered onto a dolly. Then he just rolled it out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of our Saab-retired members here used to rent an engine lift for this job. But instead of using it on the engine, he used it to pcik up the front of the car once he had the engine lowered onto a dolly. Then he just rolled it out.
lol, man I will report back someday if this is what I do.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
That is THE answer. I have heard it can go out the top, but it's gotta be a tight fit and it's definitely not what Saab recommended. I follow the retired guy... Put the engine on a furniture dolly and use a hoist to lift the car over it. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is THE answer. I have heard it can go out the top, but it's gotta be a tight fit and it's definitely not what Saab recommended. I follow the retired guy... Put the engine on a furniture dolly and use a hoist to lift the car over it. Easy peasy.

Nice, thanks for the picture!

·
Registered
800 Posts
if it's a bit intimidating you can do just the tranny in the same manor just not as extensive, use an engine brace ,drop the sub and exhaust pull the axels and the drivers strut housing and pull out more or less thru the wheel housing, use the brace to support and lower to the ground ,it's about the same time to remove the engine but less to take apart, it will be a warm up when you have to do a full engine swap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wanted to do it that way but my dolly was too big to go between my engine hoist. So I dropped them both to the ground, removed the transmission while it was sitting on the ground, then lifted the engine up and over the fender.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Frame rails, where the motor mounts attach.

It's a lot better if you remove the front bumper and use the bumper mounts, but in this instance I didn't wanna remove the bumper. :) But when you do, it keeps the hoist basically entirely out from under the car which gives you more room to maneuver.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My engine brace sits on the fender notch where the fender bolts are. All out of the way

you can also make it out of plywood and a 2x6 as well

·
Registered
78 Posts
Frame rails, where the motor mounts attach.

It's a lot better if you remove the front bumper and use the bumper mounts, but in this instance I didn't wanna remove the bumper. :) But when you do, it keeps the hoist basically entirely out from under the car which gives you more room to maneuver.
Oh good idea. Maybe I'll put it back in that way. See my other post - radiator needs to be replaced too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mentioned this project to my dad and he said I should get someone else to rebuild the transmission. vOv
I wanted to avoid mechanics because because I'm still feeling the cost of my last clutch replacement in the donor car, and I've had it in my head that I want to move the clutch to this car eventually.

The truth is this project will be extra complicated because I'll be living on a motorhome park in a week, far from town. I won't have reasonable transportation unless I rent a car, and no real place to work on it once I've pulled the donor engine. The donor car is in a storage unit, and once the engine is pulled, technically I could scrap the donor car and then move the newer car into the unit for the swap...

If I can get the transmission rebuilt(reverse needs to fixed too) with financing, then I'll probably do that. If the clutch goes out in the future, I'll have my other engine pulled by then and I'll do the swap. I'll update later.

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Used transmissions are inexpensive enough that I don't think it's worth it to have one rebuilt most of the time. I put a 2003 9-3 convertible transmission in my 1997 900 after the differential started to click. The 2003 version has a couple of internal improvements, and only cost me about $300 from a local junkyard.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Yeah, Harvey from Autohaus - a guy who builds and rebuilds transmissions - will tell you the same: Source a used one and install it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Source a used one and install it.
Yeah I mean I would be down for that. I could potentially pull my donor transmission, but I think if I supply the parts any shop is going to tell me to sign a waiver.

I'm waiting on a quote from one of the only shops that said they would work on saabs. The first shop I called didn't seem to mind that it was a saab, but quoted like $2500 ~ 4000.

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
I've never understood why shops don't want to work on these cars. They're not that odd, but they definitely seem to have a reputation.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
The F25 is similar enough to the F35 that anyone who does GM transmissions should be able to rebuild. Just tell them it's from a Cavalier and call it good. :D

$2k+ seems about right for a rebuild on one of these boxes. I remember that's what Nick told me when I was foolishly thinking about a 6-speed gearset for my Viggen... $3k for the gearset, $2k for the install. $5k gearbox on a car that isn't a c900 seemed crazy. :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, the lowest I could get was $700 for labor if I bring my donor tranny, and they said they would put my clutch in there too. I'm going to decide what I'll do after I get the parts out. I'm thinking I'll have a good idea at that point on whether I'd rather do it myself or not.

I'm thinking I don't really want to do a full motor swap because of the potential for unknown variables, and my other motor would still need a new water pump installed.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts