SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to play with my new Tech 2 on my 93 9000 CSI.

The car has always surged a bit, but is worse now after an 18 month spell in storage.
I cleared all the codes, there were a few, it ran real rough after that, but has settled down.

The check engine light has now come on a few times, it is currently off, but will no doubt come on and stay on if history repeats itself!

Tech 2 comes up with fault code "22450 intermittent".
Which appears to be a lean mixture, that the O2 sensor can not correct.

However when looking at the O2 sensor, Tech 2 says the mixture is rich.

Anyone got any pointers, I am suspecting it is the O2 sensor itself that is faulty.

Robin

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The scanner says intermittent.
After the reset the check engine light has been coming on and off, probably only done 10km since the reset.
Going on a 200k run today.
The surging happens on "float throttle", not on power, or off throttle.

Have cleaned all the sensors there are to clean.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a longer trip, CEL came on stayed on.
Rescaned , I might be on to something.
Codes: 22450, 22451, 42452, 58371.

The first 3 point to a "weak mixture", the last one an injector or injector circuit.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do.
But at 370,000km, and I very much doubt anything has been done with injectors, I got it at 342,000km, it would not be a surprise if there is an issue here.
No doubt fuel pump is original too.
All I did was replace all the filters, and plugs when I got it, and put on another, not new, DIC.
Non turbos are not as fussy with the DIC as turbo models, so I discovered!
Just replaced the plugs again

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would suspect it's the regulator but it could be a clogged injector as well if it's only on one cylinder. Check the plugs for lean burning and see if it's all 4.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
At 370 k ! kms even wire insulation becomes brittle. Saab wire insulation had history of being Crap.
Check the wires where they enter the Injector connectors ? One can also buy/fit Dorman o2 'spacers' (google if unknown?) that turn a non working Sensor into a working one ..for ECU purposes at least
Beyond that.. IMO you Have gotten your 2 cents worth out of the pore car :)
My neighbor at one point proudly displayed his 500,000 mile pin he had earned with his VW beetle.
Only later did he admit he was on his 4th engine, 2nd transmission and countless sets of tires, mufflers and of course suspension, brake bits.
The accumulated value of which being More than the cost a a fresh New beetle :).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not to detour the thread but are you seriously suggesting he should have scrapped his original Beetle and just bought an MK4 platform that looks something like a Beetle as a direct replacement?

·
Super Moderator
2,897 Posts
Hey rawill,
Injector circuit codes are ALWAYS electrical codes. I've yet to see an injector fail on a Saab, so I think wiring could be your issue. Happy electrical hunting!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greetings, long time since we connected.
Thank you, I think!!

Why is it I am not so pleased to hear your comment!!
Sooner redo the injectors!
Especially at 370K

Robin

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey rawill,
Injector circuit codes are ALWAYS electrical codes. I've yet to see an injector fail on a Saab, so I think wiring could be your issue. Happy electrical hunting!
I did have one that had some stuff blocking 1 or 2 holes. Flushing it helped. I bought a handheld kit that lets you open the solenoid and blast carb cleaner through it directly from the can.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At the moment I have only put some injector cleaner in the fuel.

Wait and see!!

Other things to do, like getting my race car sorted for the next meeting.

A Formula Ford.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts