SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 3rd Saab - a 2003 9-5 with 23k miles on it 9 months ago. I have had two problems and don't know if they are related but hope someone might have a good diagnostic theory as my mechanic can't seems to fix it..

First, 2 months into things, the battery seemed to be draining the car, and I could not start it. The rear taillight failure light came on around the same time, and the rear trunk release key inside the car, as well as on the key would not work. After replacing the battery, my mechanic found some electrical relay problems?, and claimed to fix this, as well as the tailight and trunk relaese.

All was good until last month, when I started to get little surges and stalls when I was driving a steady 45-75 MPH ( 60-65mph seems to really be the bad spot) and the engine feels like I'm pressing on the gas pedal and then quickly releasing when I'm holding steady. The RPM gauge remains steady - but the Turbo gauge seems to capture these little glitches. Also, about the time this happened, I got a front light failure glitch (it came on for a second when turning on highbeams but went away quickly) as well as rear taillight failure on the SID and now replace key battery on the SID.

After taking into the Mechanic again I having a diagnostic run - he just put in spark plugs and changed the battery again!

It's a beautiful car and when it runs well it's a dream...Anyone have any theories? I'd appreciate any help and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I take it there is no warning lights on and the diagnostic found nothing?

I would try a new DI cassette next.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No warning lights when the surge/stall happens...the DI cassette you said?- does that stand for Direct ignition?...thanks..

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!- Got it........after reading some other posts in the forum - do you think it may have anything to do with the throttle body - either cleaning or replacing?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Indeed cleaning the throttle body would be a cheap and easy thing to do ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to hear - I'll start with that and see if it helps - otherwise, onto the DI Cassestte.......Thanks so much for the good advice Chris! Have a happy holiday.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
LL200395 said:
Good to hear - I'll start with that and see if it helps - otherwise, onto the DI Cassestte.......Thanks so much for the good advice Chris! Have a happy holiday.
Good luck!

After that (if no change) I would change the "crankshaft position sensor" ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - I'm taking it in this morning and crossing my fingers that this is the problem! - will post the outcome

1 - 11 of 11 Posts