SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently run into an issue where the engine remains running after I remove the key on my 1997 Sabb 9000 CS. The engine stays on until I release the brake petal. Also, with the engine off the engine accessories comne on if I press the brake petal. Any suggestions

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
thats a good one :)

sounds like you,ve got power distrobution problems via either a diode failure or a short in circuit. but where? going to be a good guessing game
Try removing the brake light bulbs / disconnecting the rear light clusters - is it the printed circuit board there?
Try removing the ignition drum & inspect / clean all the switch contacts
Same for the lighting drum switch

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Could be anything... could be as simple as a shorted brake/position bulb ;) . I'd change them as first thing to try. I'm talking about the double filament bulbs, the ones that work both a s a brake light and a position light.
You have DRL on right?

Almost forgot... welcome to Saabcentral :lol:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The only thing electrical to the brake pedal is through the brake light switch and the cruise control switch. That's where you should start your diagnosis. The brake light switch is not fused but cruis control is. Pull the cruise control fuse first to eliminate it as the source. It could be your ignition switch also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have recently changed brake light bulbs for I will start there. I have also noted that my cruise control is no longer functional so perhaps this is related.

Thanks again, I will update as I progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. As it turned out the brake lights were the issue. Unfortunately, the resolution of the problem was further delayed due to incorrect part listings at two national parts stores. The replacement bulb that they provided me was the wrong one. In the end I had to go to Saab Canada to get the right part listing which solved the problem. Thanks for all your help. Once I had the right bulbs installed the problem was immediately resolved.
:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts