SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Saab 9-5 V6 2000 SE

To make a long story short, I just went to have an oil change done about three days ago. The man who did it mentioned I had a slight oil leak that I should have looked at in the next week or so. Not seeming very concerned, I figured I would take the Saab in at some point, but there was no rush. It took over TWO hours for the oil change though, which seemed fishy when no one else was there getting work done.

Anyways, it drove just fine on the way home. Two days later (yesterday) I went to start my car at lunch and it was making LOUD hammering noises when I went to start it. It started, but then I saw smoke coming out of the engine around the timing belt area. I immediately turned it off. When I went to show my boyfriend what had happened, the car refused to start at all, but it sounds like it is trying. I noticed TONS of oil on the parking lot pavement beneath my car.

It just recently got VERY cold here in Minnesota...dropped from 45 degrees to 10 degrees in 24 hours. Not sure if that is related.

SO...I have a Saab which is now stuck. Did the man who changed my oil screw something up!? Seems rather fishy. Regardless, does anyone have an idea as to what happened? Is it the head gasket, timing belt, oil cooler? I'm at a loss and not sure if it's worth investigating if it's going to cost $1500 to fix.

Please help me!

·
Registered
29 Posts
2 Hours sounds like they (the oil change guys) stripped out the theads on the oil drain plug then tried to enact some type of repair , which didn’t hold and now the oil leak..
Pull the dip stick and check your oil level
No oil will make a hot and loud engine

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think more information is needed

What a bummer, sorry for the trouble.

Is there any oil left in it now? Can you see any oil tracks from the oil running out of it anywhere?

If there's no oil in it at all, you should crawl under and see if the oil pan is plugged up. Check the filter too. If there's no oil in it and it's leaking out the pan, you'll probably have to have it towed somewhere for a repair. Hopefully when oil is added it will be OK, although running without oil for any length of time is not good obviously.

Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
As already mentioned, Have someone take a look underneath and see if everything looks ok. I would never trust an oil change shop with my vehicles. I personally know of four people who have had oil changes kill or nearly kill their engine. A couple months ago my mom wanted me to look at her srx because it was leaking after an oil change and I found the filter to be not even hand tight. Two of the others I know of had loose filters and with the other the drain plug was never replaced. One resulted in a new power stroke at the shop's expense. I would contact the shop that did your work ASAP and hold them responsible if they are at fault. Don't let any time go by or it will be harder to do anything about it if it is something they did.

I don't know how the v6 is set up but if it is like the 2.3 I would make sure they didn't fill your transmission with oil, just a thought.

You can also look on YouTube for the symptoms you described. Lots of videos with sound (main bearing, rod knock, etc).

Did any of your dummy lights come on?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Above is a picture of my timing belt. I got two of the screws out so I could bend back the cover and peek in. There are obviously lots of cracks but I'm not sure if it's broken? Still feels pretty tight. I'm wondering if the smoke could have been caused by a tensioner pulley in the timing belt? If the pulley ceased up, would that cause smoke? Is my timing belt broken? I want to do as much investigating as I can before I throw in the towel or attempt to fix it.

I will be contacting the oil guys and tell them the news. I checked my oil and it's about half full on the dipstick, so it's not completely empty. My coolant is full. I've heard some people talk about valve covers or gaskets? Could anyone tell me where those are and what I can do to check them out? I will be attempting to get under my car after work today to check the filter and oil pan. Unfortunately it gets dark so early here! I'm a complete amateur, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Also, this might be a totally stupid question, but what is the little metal tube sticking out behind my engine? It looks like it should have some sort of hose attached, but I couldn't find anything. Just curious if I lost something while driving.

·
Registered
897 Posts
A seized pulley could cause smoke. Did it smell like burning rubber? That belt looks pretty bad. Has it ever been changed? If timing belt jumped it could cause pistons to hit valves and make a lot of noise and not start. If that happened , I'm sorry to say it's bad news. I'm not familiar with the v6 so can't advise on checking it out though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts