SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with sludge. Do you guys recommend doing an engine flush? Will an engine flush be enough? Should I just drop the oil pan and clean the screen?

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
If you think there's sludge, do not hesitate and drop that pan. You can quickly turn an annoying afternoon of work into total engine replacement. Related, make sure you're running the final PCV update so it doesn't come back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many updates are there? I know we were updated once, but that was over 10 years ago. The car has 190,000 miles on it and it has had sludge problems most of its life. Amazing it's still running.

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
The last update was PCV # 6. Should see the hoses below at the TB.

+100 on what Jvan said. If anything, a flush might release more stuff that clogs the screen even more. None of these should run without a pan drop after the update is done and perhaps every 75K after that.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes, flush it and continue to use a high detergent oil checking often and replacing the oil filter often.
What Bob said about a flush releasing more stuff is true but you run the risk of that happening anyway.
Take charge and clean the sludge out.

Also check to see if you have any water ingress into the crank.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I wouldn't flush with detergents. All that built up sludge is all over the entire engine. Dislodging it will create more issues. I've got a head from a sludged blown engine sitting on my workshop floor. It's scary to think of any of that crud floating around at all.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I should elaborate: Take the pan and cam covers off and clean the sludge out.
Clean out the oil pump and anything else you can get to THEN flush the engine.

Don't flush it without first getting as much sludge out as you can.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
T7 engine sludge really should be isolated to the pan... that is the cause and effect in one place. Insufficient PCV results in moisture and debris accumulating in the pan, and a fine screen on the oil pickup prevents it from being circulated and kept hot & fluid and filtered by the filter. Over time it becomes a goopy mess in the pan, which blocks off the oil pickup and displaces good oil. If it could get out of the pan - as it does on B2x2 and B2x4 motors, it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
I've seen a fair amount of buildup on the timing cover, in front of the timing gears. Not thick gooey stuff, but harder dried stuff that's way beyond varnish. I don't know what causes the accumulation there... perhaps heat rises and it bake the fumes on or something.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
it's typically insufficient suction evacuating the system. I've seen it on older motors where the PCV system is compromised. Typically not a functional problem - I mean old crusty oil isn't what you want hanging around, but just hanging around in nooks and crannies won't hurt much. Sludgy sludge in the pan obstructing the oil pickup is the full Harrison Ford.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all, long time lurker, don't do forums much anymore, but i may have the sludge issue and just trying to figure out the next option. 2003 93 SE Vert with Sports Appearance package. Was late production for 2003. I purchased it with 130,000 miles about 2 years ago. Its a gently driven daily driver. I have fixed every little gremlin and bug needed to my great satisfaction. A few days ago my oil light started going on and off briefly on acceleration and stopping as well as hard cornering or turns. There are no open recalls on the car. I have done at least 4-5 oil changes on the car and the mileage sits at 149,000 now. Are there any other things that would result in the oil light going on/off other than sludge related issues? Thanks in advance for any info. Photo attached for attention
CON_8578.JPG

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
A few days ago my oil light started going on and off briefly on acceleration and stopping as well as hard cornering or turns. There are no open recalls on the car. I have done at least 4-5 oil changes on the car and the mileage sits at 149,000 now. Are there any other things that would result in the oil light going on/off other than sludge related issues? Thanks in advance for any info. Photo attached for attention
If the oil is low that would happen. Have you checked the level? Otherwise, it's time for a pan drop before you drive it another foot.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I mean, it could be a weak pump, bad sensor, or engine wear too.... if the oil level is right I would consider checking pressure with a mechanical gauge, then yeah, drop the pan.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
635 Posts
Saaber23 - I would also confirm that you have the latest PCV kit #6 installed. If you don't then I would action that asap.
There are several ways to confirm you have the right kit installed. I think Bob posted a picture before with the hoses you need. There is also a you-tube clip here: Trionic Seven

1 - 19 of 19 Posts