SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
own a 1986 saab 900 16v sedan non-turbo manual trans

Only at cold starts (engine has been off for a few hours) the engine will shut off randomly. I would have to turn it on 4-5 times before it will stay on and idle right. I have also noticed that the car will run better/more responsive on some days rather than others. It is a minor difference that not every one would notice (I notice because I am an auto enthusiast) but it seems like my saab likes dryer cooler days. I know that the head gasket needs to be replaced since there is some minor oil leak but not sure if that is a related issue. Please let me know if you have any suggestions as to what the issue might be.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If the problem occurs only on cold days, then I would suspect the coolant temp sensor, whose signal, if faulty, causes the ECU to inject an improper amount of fuel during start-up (and while the engine warms).

The sensor is located in the intake manifold, between the middle runners, and has a blue plug with a metal spring on the side that, when pressed in, allows you to pull the plug off the sensor. You can either remove and test it, per Bentley manual instructions/specs, or, if you lack the time/tools/resources/whatever to test it, just replace it; they cost ~$15-20 from an online vendor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pls excuse me if you understood cold days (we have not have those around here yet in NC). Just on cold starts, ex the engine has been off for at least 12 hours. thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts