SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 900S Saab (2.3 L - 4 Cylinder, non turbo). I have to get the exhaust checked for inspection on my car (Califonia SMOG) and when I took it in they told me that it failed because the engine self diagnostics did not complete. I had the battery disconnected about a week ago, but have driven for about 10 hours since that. Does anyone know when the self check will complete and how I can check when it does? Thanks!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Another name for this is OBD readiness codes. The Motronic computer must go through a series of system checks after it has been reset. 1996 and 1997 cars can be difficult to ready because OBD was new back then and they didnt design it to be used for regulatory emission inspections.

Get a code reader that shows the readiness codes so you know when it's good to reinspect. There is a driving procedure that will reset the codes but I can't find it at the moment. If you search this board for "OBD readiness" it might turn up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the note. I called the SAAB dealer to get the drive sequence. They said that since it was one of the first diagnostics, there are some problems with it. Anyway, I was able to call the referee (for CA SMOG) and they will test the car and allow it to pass with an exception on the form.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts