SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I need some help. My 2002 Saab 9-5 2.3T engine has bitten the dust, so I'm in the market for a new (or new to me) engine. There in lies the problem, I'm not sure what kind of engine to replace the old one with. Any help on this would be fantastic!

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
How much work do you want to do?

Buying a good, certified used engine from places like Goldwing will run you $2K plus some thing to ship it.

When I was faced with this I went to the local pick-n-pull junkyard and pulled the pan off of an engine, inspected it and then put a lot of new parts into it. Still ended up less than sourcing a used engine. (parts=chains, guides, main/rod bearings, all gaskets, head gasket, seals, oil pump and probably some other stuff that I'm not remembering)

But if you start off with a good block with clean cylinder walls, good pistons and a good crank you can probably do the whole job for $1500 or so and you know the engine is in great shape when you put it in.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I currently have a B235R engine. Do i have to keep that same engine or does the only thing that matter is the fact that it is a 2.3t?
There are two differences (other than the numbers stamped on the block) between the B235E and B235R engines:

1: The turbo is different, that's easy since you're going to use your old turbo I would suspect so it's a don't care.

2; the B235R (in some years) had sodium-filled exhaust valves. This was supposedly to deal with the extra heat from the higher output engines. There are, however, hundreds of people on this list who have B235E engines with the Mitsubishi turbos and tunes that are higher output than the Aero configurations ever were with no ill effects. If you want to be picky and your old head is still good then by all means put it on.

So in reality, no real need to get a B235R if you can't find one. I put a B235E into my 02 Aero with the Mitsubishi turbo and I can't tell the difference between that and my 03 Aero with the original engine in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.