SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, My 83 900 turbo has a knock at a very low idle but when you are at 3000 rpm, you hear a fluttering sound from the engine at 65 mph. I am driving the car at this speed and no more in the event the I am hearing the rod at the higher RPMs. I would love to have this engine rebuilt and try to get 250 hp out of it. Maybe add an intercooler ro anything else that would give me the additional hp. I have spoke with those with 900's in my saab club and said thet would love to get a 900, not power up thier 9000, and make it fast. I called several saab shops and they don't get back with a price for a total rebuild and installed. I know it can't be cheap to even do a normal rebuild with the factory specs. Has anyone does this to thier 900, if so, how much did it run you and if you didn't rebuild your 900, was it the cost? I still baby my 900 since I am using it as a commuter. I still get looks when I drive my 900 down the road. Mike

·
Registered
888 Posts
When I bought my 87 900t from my father in law, the #3 piston has blown. He started to tear it down, then decided not to continue. The engine was behind the rear seat and the transmission was in front of the passenger seat.

I spent about $600 rebuilding the head, $150.00 on new +.030 Male pistons ( alloemsaabparts.com or thepartsbin.com ) I can't remember, $1,200 on machine service on the block and crank (including ballancing) Several hundred bucks on timing chain, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, etc. in 2002. I really should have just purchased a used engine, but the rest of the car was in good shape, and I wanted to do the job once and be done with it. 50,000 miles and no complaints, runs great, has not burned any oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts