SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 900S has 97,000 miles and has a rattle noise at all temps. No rattle at idle, rattle comes at 2000 rpm and over. Seems to come from front of engine near steering/water pump area. Does this sound like a timing chain issue? Since bearings and pumps would make noise at all rpm's. Is the chain a big job?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
bofusric said:
My 900S has 97,000 miles and has a rattle noise at all temps. No rattle at idle, rattle comes at 2000 rpm and over. Seems to come from front of engine near steering/water pump area. Does this sound like a timing chain issue? Since bearings and pumps would make noise at all rpm's. Is the chain a big job?
Release the tension in the serpentine belt then remove it and test all the pullies one by one. If you can't find the culperit, move to check the timimg chain.

Did your turbo go recently. If so, you may have sludge. The only way the timing chain could be streched or if the guides are worn is when the pickup creen gets clogged thus starving the engine. The timing chain gets hot and stretches and the guides get worn.

And yes the chain is a big messy expensive job.

However it may also be the balance chain, in that case you can just remove it it's not a needed component anyway. It was meant to reduce the vibration in the engine a bit. Most people never even notice the diffrence with or without it.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
bofusric said:
My 900S has 97,000 miles and has a rattle noise at all temps. No rattle at idle, rattle comes at 2000 rpm and over. Seems to come from front of engine near steering/water pump area. Does this sound like a timing chain issue? Since bearings and pumps would make noise at all rpm's.Partially true; a device's noise may be inaudible until the RPMs and or the load increases sufficiently. Is the chain a big job?Yes$$$$($$$ for a good DIY)
Do the diagnosis, check the timing chain tensioner, isolate the noise.
Spin the serpentine belt pulleys and or use a stethoscope.
And, as Tweek asks, is this a I4 or a V6 ????
All of the little details are important..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts