SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this rattle like the timing chain was loose. Thank goodness it went to limp home, or whatever it is, and would not let me drive over 5 clicks an hour. Mechanic took the top of the engine apart and found that the timing chain, tensioner, and all ancillary equipment, totally destroyed. The chain even took the heads off 3 bolts that it was interacting with whilst turning. As there was debris floating around we drove the car for 2K to allow the filter to pick up as much as possible,. On return to the mechanic a loose pulley noise still there on cranking the engine . On investigation another major pulley issue involving the timing chain. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with their NG 9-5 turbo 4?
I do not fault my present mechanic and totally trust what he is saying but the previous guy gave me the car back after my complaint of the noise and all he did was put a thickening agent into the oil. One has to be so careful to pick a shop that absolutely knows what they are doing..../

·
Super Moderator
1,454 Posts
You CANNOT add a “thickening agent” to cars with oil driven timing chain tensioners... the oil feed holes into the tensioners are not very big. So if you starve them of oil or otherwise screw up the oil feed rate, your chain gets under-tensioned. Bad news. As a matter of fact, I believe the owners manual specifically says not to put in any additives to the engine oil. At this point, a reman engine would not be much more money but would be a much better idea. Probably less labor too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Curious as to how you came to the conclusion that a timing issue had anything to do with debris in your engine? I would think the only debris you would get in your engine from a timing issue would be valves broken apart in the cylinder walls. Also driving around trying to collect metal shaving in the oil filter is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard. That's not what the oil filter is for.

At this point I'd source a replacement engine

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very fine filings from the three bolt heads ground off by the timimg chain wearing them down and the bearings of the pulleys also destroyed produce very fine filings that plug up the cam inlet and exhaust timing devices and the timing chain tensioner is what I have been told and shown, gold coloured deposits on the aforementioned devices. Maybe I had not described fully what was going on,,,. the filings plugged the tensioner which also ultimately had to be replaced, not a cheap item either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts