1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
For the last few weeks or so I had the following problem when driving
my saab900i-88 to work:
It starts w. no problem. It runs fine...and then suddenly the engine runs unevenly, when I try to acc. there is NO respons for around 10 sec.,
then it vibrates and sounds strange (small "puffs") for a few sec., and then it runs fine again, all the way to work (15 km). The problem always
occurs after a certain distance (same place every day) after starting.
It is very predictable. It's like the engine gets no air or something.
I recently changed the air filter. The radiator also leaks abit,
but I have assumed that it is not related to that.

Could it be the Lambda probe? Other ideas?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central.How long has the car run (time), how far have you gone when this happens (distance)? You said it always sputters at the same place, is this place a hard corner? Does the car run well after it sputters?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks.
It happens about two minutes after I start, probably about 1-2 km
from my starting point. It is not in a hard corner. And it is the same
on the way back from work of course, after about the same time/distance from start. (I thought perhaps that it might be related to something heating up and that the problem occurs a a specific temperature, but I don't know).

grif900 said:
Welcome to Saab Central.How long has the car run (time), how far have you gone when this happens (distance)? You said it always sputters at the same place, is this place a hard corner? Does the car run well after it sputters?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
o2 (lamda) sensor is easy enough to test, and would be a good place to start. A digital volt meter with positive lead to the black wire from the sensor and the black lead to ground, should fluctuate between 0.4 to 1 volt. If the signal voltage does not fluctuate,the sensor has probably expired.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
8 valve or 16 valve?
If it's an 8 valve, the problem is most likely a small vacuum leak. The Lambda system runs at a default setting until the O2 sensor heats up; usually 1-2 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts