SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Saab 900S. I just had my clutch release cable replaced. After driving about 10 miles from the garage, the engine started to overheat. I didn't have this problem before I took the car in to have the clutch worked on. Everytime I drive the car now, the engine begins to overheat after it is fully warmed up. I need to turn the heat and fan full blast to prevent it from completely overheating. Could there be a relationship between the replacement of the clutch release cable and the thermostat control causing the engine to overheat? Obviously I need to have this taken care of but I want to make sure I am correct when I tell the mechanic that it was his fault that I have this new problem as a result of his work fixing the clutch cable.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
There should be no relationship between replacing the clutch cable and the engine overheating, unless they took the car out for a test drive and blew the head gasket due to beating on it.

Did you happen to record the mileage when you took the car in and when you got it back? That would tell you how far it was driven by them.

As far as the thermostat, it's mounted in an aluminum housing and is not in contact with anything related to the clutch cable.

Mae sure that you keep checking the coolant level to see if you are loosing antifreeze... Ron

·
Registered
364 Posts
Is the fan kicking in? I wonder if some electrical connections were forgotten after they worked on it, or maybe the relay in the box you have to move to get at the cable was dislodged.

I've panicked after working on my car and have had things happen like this. I learnt to look for the simple (cheap and painless) solutions first.

Hope that helps,

Steven

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Good point about the relay box on the firewall that has to be moved out of the way.

Check to see if the fan is running at all and go from there... Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Steven

I'm taking it to my reguluar Saab mechanic to have it looked into. The problem may be the fan as I don't hear it on when I turn the engine off. I had this problem last year (unrelated to my clutch) and had the themostat replaced and the fan rewired. I shouldn't have to have that done again. I don't drive the car that much.

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ron. The coolant levels are fine. I think the problem is related to the fan not coming on. I had this problem last year and had the fan rewired and the thermostat replaced. I'm taking it back to my regular Saab mechanic to have him look into it.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts