SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the specifications for the engine oil cooler lines? Over the course of six months, I destroyed two sets of these lines trying to remove them, on two different 9k's I own. This is a part only dealer supplies. In the US, the cheapest is $120 a piece. And I usually wait for a week to get delivery. Now my 95 9k cse is sitting in the driveway waiting for the lines to arrive.

What I would like to do is to find the connectors and have my local hydraulic shop fit high pressure hoses to them. I had that done on a leaking power steering hose in the same shop for $37 thid morning. A new power steering hose costs $70.

The problem with the cooler lines is everytime I remove them, the pipe twists and bends with the nut rotation. This happens on the engine side near the oil filter base. The fittings and pipes are so close to the turbocharger it is usually rusted.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Apply high temperature antiseize compound to the fitting threads when installing the lines, and do not overtighten them, no more rusting or bent lines.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
the prob' isn't the thread locking in the housing it's the hose rusting to the union, they are a pig to get off, can't you take the busted union to the shop and see if they can supply them or reuse your old ones

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boxman's got that right.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next time, if there is a next time, I'll cut the hose first before attempting to loosen the fitting on the engine side. Hoping by doing this I can preserve the pipe and fitting.

But practically it may not work. On both occasions I had the engine on a stand. I think I need to remove the bracket for the front engine mount. Just hope there isn't a next time.

I know now if I preserve the pipe and fitting, the hydraulic shop can make me a new line for $40. The line is $120 from Eeuroparts.com and $150 from the dealer. It came from the same SAAB parts source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts