SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I now have a 93 turbo and have been looking at recommended oil changes.

Every 5k with Mobile one ?

I would probably do a double change, just the once, as its a new car to me and may help the turbo live a bit longer. Not sure if this car suffers the same problem as my old 900ng with oil sludge build up. I noticed the oil seems to be a bit high with a cool engine the oil is above the max level ?

I have had the car 2 days and the turbo is great, very impressed !

Tim.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Hello there,

I now have a 93 turbo and have been looking at recommended oil changes.

Every 5k with Mobile one ?

I would probably do a double change, just the once, as its a new car to me and may help the turbo live a bit longer. Not sure if this car suffers the same problem as my old 900ng with oil sludge build up. I noticed the oil seems to be a bit high with a cool engine the oil is above the max level ?

I have had the car 2 days and the turbo is great, very impressed !

Tim.
Please search for oil threads, there have been many. It has become a joke on the forum when another oil thread starts:cheesy:

My standard answer is to use what the manual says, and change at least twice a year, unless you drive more than the recommended miles in six months.

Depending on what year and engine you have Mobil 0W40 is most often in the manual.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What Zin said. Try searching and youll find plenty to read. There seems to be a new oil thread every week and it's always the same discussion. Some will tell you Mobil 1 only. Some will say 0w-40. Some 5w-30. Some wil say to use any synthetic. Some will say that twice a year is too much and you're wasting money to change before the computer tells you to. Others will argue that its cheap insurance. Then there's the argument about GM LL-A-25 vs Dexos specifications. Etc etc etc :)

No sludge problems I these cars, by the way.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just use the Mobil 1 0w-40. It's the best oil for these engines. Labstone has done a "Used Oil Analysis" on quite a few samples and has shown that M1 0w-40 provides great wear protection.

·
Registered
593 Posts
When I 1st got my '06 I had it changed immediately with a full syn. then after 3000 mi. put in Royal Purple 0w-40.
Since then I use the RP 0 or 5 and change every 5 to 7 k.
I put a lot on miles on the car so I try to be pro-active on maintenance

Congratulations on your new ride, hope it gives you years of pleasure:D

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Just use the Mobil 1 0w-40. It's the best oil for these engines. Labstone has done a "Used Oil Analysis" on quite a few samples and has shown that M1 0w-40 provides great wear protection.
I had even better results after switching M1 to German Castrol 0w30.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the funny remarks, I thought about other dull threads 'best interior lamp' and 'best steering wheel cleaner'

My mechanic has suggested Comma long life 5 30 it meets the GL bla bla spec and as the car has timing chain, hydraulic tappets and a turbo I will probably change every 5k or once a year. I don't get the 1800k 2 year oil interval it seems to long ? Anyway I getting the oil done today and then I off to spank the *****!

Cheers Tim.

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
It's "Blackstone" not Labstone

The GM LL Spec is obsolete, it's now DEXOS 1

0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 10W40 are all acceptable.

Change at whatever interval rings your bells.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's "Blackstone" not Labstone

The GM LL Spec is obsolete, it's now DEXOS 1

0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 10W40 are all acceptable.

Change at whatever interval rings your bells.
IPhone auto correct..

I'm on BITOG a lot and the Mobil 1 0w-40 tests had stellar results. Haven't seen much if any tests done on other oils so why not use something that's proven to work well? I'm not saying the other oils aren't as good, but no one has shown that they are either.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
IPhone auto correct..

I'm on BITOG a lot and the Mobil 1 0w-40 tests had stellar results. Haven't seen much if any tests done on other oils so why not use something that's proven to work well? I'm not saying the other oils aren't as good, but no one has shown that they are either.
Well not to start a Big Oil Debate.... but the last Oil GM/Saab recommended for the SS was a DEXOS 1 5W30.... I'd say they did that for a reason. The Same reason Mobil 1 0W40 was reduced from a 15K mile/2 Year Interval to a 10k mile/1 yr Interval a couple of years ago. Progress... things change.

Yes Mobil 1 is a Fine Oil, so are Rotella and Pennzoil, Castrol and Total Quartz, Royal Purple and Amsoil.... There are Choices... Mobil 1 got there by something called Product Placement, a Deal between GM and Mobil. it's about Cash and Royalties. Until the product was discontinued the Factory Fill was 0W30 Saab Turbo Oil (manufactured by ELF).. The Mobil 1 deal eliminated that.

Yes it works, but many other Oils will deliver the same results. So let everyone use what they choose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts