SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey every one...my car wont start...it turns over but it seems like there is either no fuel or no spark...how can i find out whats wrong? how can i check to see if its my fuel pump....how can i check if its the DI cass? and how hard is it to change the fuel pump? i need help...asap

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
To check the fuel pump, disconnect the banjo bolt on the fuel rail and put it into a clean petrol resistant container, then turn the ignition key until the starter engages, a good flow of petrol will rule out the pump.

The DI unit is more difficult as you need a known good one to swap with...anyone near you with a similar saab you could borrow a DI unit from to check?

To access the fuel pump is under the wooden floor panel in the boot, take the metal cover off, disconnect the 12v supply and then undo a small 10mm bolt (IIRC) which holds the fuel pipes in, pull the fuel pipe connectors out...be very careful as they can snap! Unscrew the big plastic screw on ring and fiddle about trying to get the pump out...it does come out eventually! Good luck!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Is there any fuel in it then :confused:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marrk, where is the wooden floor panel like you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and yes, i put in 1/2 a tank

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The oval floor panel is in the trunk (boot), if you remove the lining you should see it just behind the back seats.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Surely when you turn on the ignition you can hear the fuel pump prime up?

How do the plugs look :confused:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hear no priming what so ever from a fuel pump...so its a big chance that my pump is bad right?

how do i remove the lining of the trunk? is it from the side linings or he floor linings?

·
Registered
247 Posts
screamingreen97 said:
i hear no priming what so ever from a fuel pump...so its a big chance that my pump is bad right?

how do i remove the lining of the trunk? is it from the side linings or he floor linings?

Floor Linings...you have to pry them loose from the sidewalls and completely remove. Once you see the metal flooring, you will see a silver metal plate approx 9 in x 5 inc. Held down with two bolts on each end. the pump is under the plate.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you, i will try this 2night...my dad alrdy baught a fuel pump, hopefully we can install it and itll work...

one more question...would this have been caused by my MBC?

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
screamingreen97 said:
Anything is possible, however the fuel pump is not an uncommon fault on these cars. My 93's bought it and left me stranded in a side street in Rhode Island.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
No.

Surely when you turn on the ignition you can hear the fuel pump prime up?
On my 1992 car the fuel pump is not activated until the ignition key is turned all the way over and the starter engages. Just having the ignition on doesn't energise the pump. Found this out when I checked flow when I put an uprated fuel pump in.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay so after about an hour just trying to get the round thing out, the fuel pump is in and working...but its an aftermarket so i dont know if it'll perform as good as, at first it felt like the car wanted to stall, but then it got better...now my problem is my srs light is on...why is this? i havent checked fuses yet cuz it got dark out...so what could be wrong if its not the fuse?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts