SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm on the highway in 4th or 5th gear and I let off the gass there is a scratchy/rhaspy type of sound comming from the engine, it will go away if I put my foot back on the gas. I think it the level of noise is dependent upon how many RPM's but I'm not sure.

It can only be heard with the windows down. Does anyone know what might be creating this type (scratch/rhaspy) of sound.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
This may not be the sound source, but the serpentine belt pulleys should be examined and listened to.

Then check out the exhaust and the engine mounts; 7 years is not that much, but, if we assume 150K miles.......

Is the engine service work up to date, or is this now a thing of the past ??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
true is that I just bought it and don't know enough about the vehicle history... it has 113,000 miles on it. I'm guessing i'll have to take it in to a shop.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I would first check if the noise goes away when you take your foot off the gas, AND press the clutch pedal all the way to the ground.

Some cars with manual transmissions make a noise while "coasting in gear". It does not appeat to be anything serious, and AFAIK, there has not been a good solution posted. See following thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49170

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The best possible advie, and from who else:cheesy:

Welcome back, PMI, we hope that all is well with you..

I do not think any bearing will make the sound you describe,Speroninedotcom.
But I think this vehicle should be treated to the full service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts