SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Saab 95 4 cylinder auto w/90k miles on it. My wife compaint that it was making a noise so I took it for a ride. It runs okmbut you can hear noise coming from the engine. I thought Ider or something but that seems good. It sound like from under the valve cover something like gears meshing but could be normal. Anyway it sat in the garage for a day and when I started it up, Smoke came from the excaust almost like the turbo went, ( which I thought) but today when I started it it didn't smoke and ran normal but still have that noise. I do have a question, if I take off the oil cap iy seems to have a smoke or mist about it. I do not know if that is normal. I had this car for 5 years with no problem and can the oil at around 4 k miles with sythetic oil. I do not know if it had the oil pressure mod gone to it.. What do you think?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just started to look at it now. It seemed fine and normal for about 5 minutes and then when rev'ed it up it started to pour smoke out of the pipe. When I checked the oil I can see some tanish brown mixed in with the oil. I also hear a whinning sound..Maybe the turbo is going? Anybody have this problem out threre? I was talking about the Crankcase kit, not the oil pressure kit as mentioned in the other post

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I will defer to the old 9-5 hands here gladly but, from 1999 to 2003 the B235 motor had a real high rate of failures due to clogging oil screens.

My daughter called the other night and her 2000 9-5 ran hot and then smoked and froze. The bad news is that we are not on good terms so I don't have details but this problem even shows on Wiki .... type in Saab 9-5 Wiki ... and dang it purists, don't flame me I didn't put it there.

A long time ago I drove and early 900 turbo with ... well without the turbo since it seized and it just felt like a very anemic 900 .. like a Fiat or my Peugeot 404 could have whooped butt on it.

Don't drive it till someone who knows the car looks at it. If you cook it you may not be able to get a crate motor for it. I called our local "As Seen On TV" engine place recently since I had a real nice 96 900 in the driveway I got for parts and it killed me since the body was sooooooo good. But no replacement motor available (bad rods and crank), good news was there was a lady in tears cause she loved her car and hit a deer and it would have cost her a fortune (paint, fender, grill, hood and marker lights) ... her face lit up when I gave her the car. At least there was one happy ending for someone .... good luck.

Could be a head gasket? No "milky" stuff in the oil ??? Smell and feel the exhaust too ... head you can often feel the water and glycol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts