SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
B/A doesn't make anything anymore, so what you'll get in that box is made by someone else. DEA is bottom of the barrel, like Anchor.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Go with Corteco for the rear mount. Lots of Ebay sellers. There's a FEBI/Bilstein mount for the tranny that hopefully is good quality. Probably from China too, but at least they have a rep to try to keep up with. You can get them as a pair on Ebay. For the other one, carry on with the search. I used Pro-parts because it was all I could find and I was in a hurry and it's fine, but I'm not so sure it will be fine in a year. We'll see.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wanted to clarify that mine is automatic. So if I were to go with the readily available Corteco rear mount that cross references on eEuroparts for either trans, but is technically the firmer manual trans mount variant... will it matter that it's a bit firmer?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Firmer just means that it will transmit more vibration to the cabin. It will probably shift smoother with a stiffer mount.

If your car vibrates annoyingly at idle now, I might be concerned. If not, I would go for it. These cars aren't exactly purring kittens anymore... we tolerate some discomfort for performance :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm actually impressed with how smooth it is at idle, even with my mount issues. I only notice the clunking sensation when I put it in gear and when I accelerate briskly from a stop. No vibrations. After viewing the engine through the hood gap, it is moving around a fair bit.

I guess I'll really be impressed when I get the new mounts installed!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
If you don't need to replace your mount right away, keep an eye on eBay. I picked up a Rein transmission mount, which was made in Germany, and a NOS German-made OEM passenger's side mount. I'm afraid that one's going to be the last one of those I'll ever see, though. I had a ProParts passenger side mount that I bought through a Saab dealer, when Orio briefly made them the OEM, but it didn't last much more than a year. I had another that wasn't assembled correctly. The holes were cocked at an angle, so the whole mount had to be twisted to even get it installed. I had the place I bought that one from swap it out for another, which was made correctly.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Or hang in there a couple days... I have a lead on OEM mounts for the passenger side that might pan out. I should know soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, I can wait a little while. Probably been worn out for years with the previous owner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If your dash rattles at all you need a new rear mount.
I used the pro parts diesel mount in my 99 93 se and it immediately relieved that rattle. Auto trans, fyi.
If the rear of the engine lifts when you shift into drive or 1st, while you are standing on the brakes = rear mount.
If the front left lifts on shift to fwd gear = trans mount
If front right sink on shift to fwd gear = motor mount

Generally speaking... Your car is almost drinking age. It needs new rubbers... Engine trans and suspension.

I am gonna be the ******* and say that...
#1: the 3 mounts are suspect.
#2: it is likely that you are on original equipment... I.e. replace all rubber...
#3: replace shocks/struts.
#4: decide if further upgrades are necessary.... You might like the saab feel...

·
Registered
121 Posts
If your dash rattles at all you need a new rear mount.
I used the pro parts diesel mount in my 99 93 se and it immediately relieved that rattle. Auto trans, fyi.
If the rear of the engine lifts when you shift into drive or 1st, while you are standing on the brakes = rear mount.
If the front left lifts on shift to fwd gear = trans mount
If front right sink on shift to fwd gear = motor mount

Generally speaking... Your car is almost drinking age. It needs new rubbers... Engine trans and suspension.

I am gonna be the *** and say that...
#1: the 3 mounts are suspect.
#2: it is likely that you are on original equipment... I.e. replace all rubber...
#3: replace shocks/struts.
#4: decide if further upgrades are necessary.... You might like the saab feel...
Just remember... Your 9-3 has the same power as a same gen bmw with 2 more cylynders...from the factory...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The glove box door does rattle, which I figured could be due to engine vibrations from worn mounts.

Shocks and other bushings seem fine. Excellent ride quality and tight handling still.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Yeah, I can wait a little while. Probably been worn out for years with the previous owner.

Looks like it's a no-go. The manufacturer (Saab's original vendor I believe) won't restart production for them. They have to run 1000 units and no one wants to commit to that.

Looks like it's Pro-parts. Buy from a vendor with a "lifetime guarantee"... you'll probably be using it (Me too).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks anyways. I think I'll go with a URO mount for the passenger side.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Replaced all the mounts. No wonder I was having clunking... Rear mount looks like it exploded, and the transmission mount was totally separated. The engine side mount was fine. Kept it for a spare.

Haven't gone for a drive yet, but just starting the car was much smoother. This is going to be nice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You should notice a dramatic improvement in torque steer, slightly more stable braking and some improvement in launch traction, if you drive aggressively...
If you drive like a granny you will get to enjoy smoother shifts, a smoother idle, and a nice quiet cabin... Except for that noisy cabin temp sensor fan.... And whatever that thing on the inner front right fender is that "tick tick ticks"... Or maybe thats just my 99 9-3

Next up will be replacing the rubber hangers for the downpipe, by the cat.... Now that your engine is sitting higher they are just kinda "there" but not really doing anything

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
the tick tick tick from the inner right fender is very likely a faulty headlight adjuster, had similar at one stage , it was constant , try disconnecting it at the back of the headlight to prove/disprove

21 - 40 of 46 Posts