SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first thread on this site. I'm a first year at UCSD, and I've recently inherited a 2005 9-3 Linear. It's run 90k miles on the highway without a single problem, except for a few electronic errors that were an easy fix. I'd like to apologize ahead of time if you guys get posts like this a lot.

Originally, I was planning on buying a used 08 Aero. I've driven the Turbo X and loved it, however the unique suspension plants the car too well on the road; I didn't really get that terrifying lurch when I dropped gear. The 08 Aero has the new engine, but as you know there's no all wheel drive.

Anyways, this inheritance saves me a few, and although I still love it stock, I feel there are a few upgrades I'd like to take a look into.

First of which is the air intake. Stock is decently sized, however I have a feeling if I could swap it out with one with a slightly larger diameter, this could perhaps pack a few more hp.

Secondly, I was looking into adding a performance cold air induction system, however from what I've read, they're illegal in California...of course. So instead I've thought about perhaps swapping out the turbo for a rebuilt one. But if I'm going to go through all that effort, could I add a supercharger? I've seen some tuning stores sell them for Saab in specific, but I don't know of their effectiveness.

I could swap it for a newer Saab, but it's broken in, and been with the family for a while. We've done quite a bit of preventative maintenance, so I've got a feeling it'll be with us for a while longer. In the meanwhile, why not make the best of it.

If anyone has any other performance suggestions worth looking into, I'm open ears. I know some about cars, but hardly anything about mechanical and real engine work. I'm majoring in human bio, but I'd still love to learn anything you guys have to offer.

Thanks guys,

Alden

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome! My first suggestion would be to do a "search" on the forum and you'll find a plethora of information, however, your car is the Linear and you won't find alot of Linear threads.

I too have the Linear and I recently completed a thread reviewing my recent Nordic Stage 1 tune review as well as drag times.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181200

Also there is a performance faq at the top of page 1 on the forum list. Check it out and read up, these cars are complicated.

Lastly, be advised that these cars have a very intricate and sensitive computer system and modifications often lead to a CEL (check engine light) and the computer will often compensate for the mods.

Have fun.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I 2 have 04 Linear, the first thing I did was to drop a K&N aftermarket air filter, (however I did put in aftermarket cold air intake before and my car did not like it, it ran slower and the turbo had lag too, and from what I read here Cold Air intake systems for our Saabs are purely for sound purposes so I went back with a Drop In and it works like a charm. 2nd thing I did was remove my Resonator and stock exhaust and welded a performance muffler, now the car is breathing better with exhaust and performance drop in filter. 3rd thing I did was tunned my ECU, You have few options like Nordic, BSR and JZW, I went with JZW since he lives closer to me and charges as twice less than the others (it was worth every dollar, this is the biggest upgrade you can do but requires $$$). If you go this route it is important to install a Digital Boost Gauge so you can see how much PSI you're pushing, Stage 1 pushing 15-17 PSI, huge improvement. Later if you want to support the tune, get Aero 9-3 SS Injectors, and upgrade the ignition coils. After that you can get 3inch full exhaust which includes 3inch cat and 3inch downpipe. Down the road if ur serious about it you can also get a bigger turbo, aftermarket intercooler and the list just goes on and on. This atleast can give you an idea of what I did and will do in the future to my 04 Linear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey slonomo

I live in California, and we have incredibly strict emissions here. I love the idea of the Nordic Stage 1 upgrade, however do you have any idea to how it effects the emissions? If I perform the upgrade, and emissions go south, I have to pay $300+ in penalty plus I'd have to remove the mod...also, how much was the mod itself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I believe with the BSR tune you can de-tune it just same simple way as if you would tune the car, 10 min in and 10 min out. It connects to the OBD reader below our steering wheel (im sure your already knew that), so before you go to pass the emmisions you can de-tune it, afterward re-tune it. GenuineSaab.com has that sofware starting at $800 and it allows you to re/de tune your car. Plus you can call Nick Talifierro (sorry for mispelling of the name) and this guy knows more and can help you since he's the provider and plus he does this on his own cars and knows what he's talking about. Give them a call if u want more detailed answers, they have a good reputation. [email protected]

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey man welcome to the site

Some insight on your post:

-Aftermarket intakes don't add HP, they only "liven" up the turbo sound and give you the whoosh like a bov

-Not sure what places you've seen selling superchargers for saabs unless it's the older models but you can't put a supercharger on your car. You can upgrade the turbo but in the process you have to upgrade other hardware as well

One question I do have, you said the Turbo X felt "too" planted to the ground and thats why you didn't buy it? Because when you dropped gears to beat on the car it didn't throw you back like expected? I've never driven one but I'm pretty sure going from a dig on one of those would give you the "terrifying lurch" you'd be looking for and if you only did highway Vtune it, you'd get a lurch. If I had the decision you did I would have shelled out the money for the X. They have a prestige about them only being made 1 year and only a certain number, collectors item in the future my friend.

Hey guys, this is my first thread on this site. I'm a first year at UCSD, and I've recently inherited a 2005 9-3 Linear. It's run 90k miles on the highway without a single problem, except for a few electronic errors that were an easy fix. I'd like to apologize ahead of time if you guys get posts like this a lot.

Originally, I was planning on buying a used 08 Aero. I've driven the Turbo X and loved it, however the unique suspension plants the car too well on the road; I didn't really get that terrifying lurch when I dropped gear. The 08 Aero has the new engine, but as you know there's no all wheel drive.

Anyways, this inheritance saves me a few, and although I still love it stock, I feel there are a few upgrades I'd like to take a look into.

First of which is the air intake. Stock is decently sized, however I have a feeling if I could swap it out with one with a slightly larger diameter, this could perhaps pack a few more hp.

Secondly, I was looking into adding a performance cold air induction system, however from what I've read, they're illegal in California...of course. So instead I've thought about perhaps swapping out the turbo for a rebuilt one. But if I'm going to go through all that effort, could I add a supercharger? I've seen some tuning stores sell them for Saab in specific, but I don't know of their effectiveness.

I could swap it for a newer Saab, but it's broken in, and been with the family for a while. We've done quite a bit of preventative maintenance, so I've got a feeling it'll be with us for a while longer. In the meanwhile, why not make the best of it.

If anyone has any other performance suggestions worth looking into, I'm open ears. I know some about cars, but hardly anything about mechanical and real engine work. I'm majoring in human bio, but I'd still love to learn anything you guys have to offer.

Thanks guys,

Alden

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the clarification.

As for the Turbo X, you're definitely right. Just the rarity of the car itself is worth purchasing. However it's a joint purchase between my dad and myself, and the ride felt the same for both of us. 280 HP is a healthy chunk of power, and I won't deny that the car had fantastic acceleration. I would LOVE to wake up every morning and see one on my driveway. But in the end, it does not have that edge the Aero has. If you compare the two yourself, you will notice the difference. Take off from both was extremely satisfying, however the Aero just had a sharper edge that the X did not. If the Aero was the same price as the X, I probably would get the X exactly for all the reasons mentioned in your post. However the X is going for around $30, while I have found several '09 Aeros going for $26k.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey slonomo

I live in California, and we have incredibly strict emissions here. I love the idea of the Nordic Stage 1 upgrade, however do you have any idea to how it effects the emissions? If I perform the upgrade, and emissions go south, I have to pay $300+ in penalty plus I'd have to remove the mod...also, how much was the mod itself?

Thanks!
Sorry for the late response. If I were you I'd probably go with a BSR type PPC because you can detune/retune as needed. Especially for inspections. I think Nordic has come out with a PPC? Anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
821 Posts
hey as long as your in the saab family

Thanks for the clarification.

As for the Turbo X, you're definitely right. Just the rarity of the car itself is worth purchasing. However it's a joint purchase between my dad and myself, and the ride felt the same for both of us. 280 HP is a healthy chunk of power, and I won't deny that the car had fantastic acceleration. I would LOVE to wake up every morning and see one on my driveway. But in the end, it does not have that edge the Aero has. If you compare the two yourself, you will notice the difference. Take off from both was extremely satisfying, however the Aero just had a sharper edge that the X did not. If the Aero was the same price as the X, I probably would get the X exactly for all the reasons mentioned in your post. However the X is going for around $30, while I have found several '09 Aeros going for $26k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts