SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 2001 9-3 5spd and pretty much for the last month ive had it the engine light periodically comes on and off every week or so by itself. i had my friend mechanic read the codes and he got 3 things that popped up saying a misfire:eek: . whenever it comes on it had been when i start it exept i think once. he cleared the codes and said to come back if they come on and he will get the exact code # will i plan on doing today or tomm. please any help/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You need to post the exact OBD2 codes here if you want quality help. Misfire can be random (P0300) or specific to a cylinder (P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306). Need to know the exact code read.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Ditto, although the most common causes of that on our cars are either plugs (cheap), or a failing ignition module (not so cheap, but easy to change by yourself, four small bolts, one connector, and that's it)

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
goincb89 said:
ok i have a 2001 9-3 5spd and pretty much for the last month ive had it the engine light periodically comes on and off every week or so by itself. i had my friend mechanic read the codes and he got 3 things that popped up saying a misfire:eek: . whenever it comes on it had been when i start it exept i think once. he cleared the codes and said to come back if they come on and he will get the exact code # will i plan on doing today or tomm. please any help/suggestions?
Common problem is random mis-fire, put in a new set of ngk bcpr 7es-11 plugs and use the dielectric grease on the lower boot section and then pull the negative battery cable to re-set the ecu and clear the cel codes. Make sure you have the radio code first!

Start there, that is a common one, next would be the di and maybe o2 sensor, so if the light comes back on with new plugs, have them read and find out exactly what it is...

John

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok im going to go get the exact codes and also i have noticed when starting occasionally a small puff of smoke from oil for a second then the engine runs clean ,thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
John Z Williams said:
Common problem is random mis-fire, put in a new set of ngk bcpr 7es-11 plugs ... Make sure you have the radio code first!
Yeah, that - except the T7 9-3 uses the PFR6H-10 and doesn't require a code for the radio ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey i just got the code read again and it was the one with random engine misfire, not specific to any cylinder

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
That is a fairy common problem, could be a number of things. You will have to start going down the list, replace the plugs first and check the o2 sensor is working right and check that the di is working good too. Bad fuel can cause some mis-fires as well... I hate it when I get those random mis-fires...!

John

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
John Z Williams said:
...check the o2 sensor is working right...
I am not sure the average person can do that, unless there is a fault code for the O2 sensor. Reading the O2 output is not that easy with a meter.

The P0300 (random misfire) is most often plugs or the ignition module (DIC). I wonder if this car was covered under the ignition module recall?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how would i find out if it covered under that recall, i like the idea of a free replacement:cheesy:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
goincb89 said:
how would i find out if it covered under that recall, i like the idea of a free replacement:cheesy:
By year and VIN number, black ignition module only. The recall details are posted in the forum.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
PMI said:
Usually from the fault codes.
I'd say that this is a more accurate method.
One can always invert or "flip" the DIC , insert some plugs, and do a static test..this has its limitations..:cheesy:

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
goincb89 said:
how woiuld i check to see if the di cassette is working right?
I have 4 di's in my garage if that tells you anything. I like to swap one out from a known good working one and see if the mis fire changes. I have gone to a local saab shop and borrowed a known good one for diagnosis.

On checking the 02 sensor, yea, you would have to take it to a shop with a tech 2 and have them check it for you, I would do that one last if nothing else works... In most cases, vacuum leaks are what can also cause misfires. I would check all vacuum lines, change plugs and then start checking the di and then the o2 sensor.

John

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok well replaced spark plugs and the light came on again, called the dealer and ther gonna give me a new di cassette:cheesy: but i would also want to look for some vaccum leaks and what would be the best way about it thanks

·
Banned
631 Posts
those casettes are $500ish in change. i know i changed one on my old car. and it was misfiring badly. so bad it wouldnt even run properly.

Make sure they are changing the boots, the springs, and the electrical component as well. and im sure after installation it will run much nicer ;)

good luck and congrats

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
goincb89 said:
...i would also want to look for some vaccum leaks and what would be the best way about it thanks
The vacuum hoses can be tested for leaks one at a time, using a vacuum pump with a gauge (Autozone has one in their loan tool program).

Most people just replace the hoses with new ones, every few years. It is one of the cheapest things you can do, the hose is about 50 cents/foot from a Napa dealer, and you need about 6 feet to replace all of them on a turbo.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok sounds good so far but when i replace these hoses would it be better to buy the black rubber stock hose or does the colored silicone hose have enuf quality to go under the hood cause that stuff looks cool :cool:

·
Registered
216 Posts
goincb89 said:
ok sounds good so far but when i replace these hoses would it be better to buy the black rubber stock hose or does the colored silicone hose have enuf quality to go under the hood cause that stuff looks cool :cool:
Put silicone hoses on as they don't perish like the rubber hose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts