SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I just noticed that the engine light remains on after starting up my car. I'm not sure if this happened today or if it's been some day now, I just noticed it. It does the starting check and then remains on. I get no message on the SID at all. The manual says that there is a message about Engine malfunction - Contact service, which is not my case. I switch off and on the car several times after I noticed the engine light and indeed stays on. I had no problems with my Saab apart from a sensor 6 months ago that was replaced and I also changed my battery that time. I contacted my garage (not a Saab dealer) and he told me that I can take it to have it checked with the diagnostic software and that engine light usually refers to electronic issues and I shouldn't panic (although the Saab manual warns for further problems if not having the problem checked). Temperature indicator is up to the normal level.

What is the common reason for the engine light remaining on? Is it normal I don't get any SID message at the same time? Should I check something myself? ---- false alarm---?

Thanks in advance!

adam

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
car is in LHM,you need to get the code/s read and post them up..switching the engine on and off will not do it any favours or the cars sensitive electronics..

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
when there is a fault within the engine management system,a fault code(1 letter & 4 digits) is generated within & stored,which is then read with a obd reader...that code will then point in the right direction to a fix..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes ok. Unfortunately I don't have any OBD code reader...
Let's see tomorrow at the garage then. Some people stated elsewhere that it can be a fuel cap problem that a activates the engine light...but I guess it can be lots of other things apart from this. The fact that light is yellow/orange and that I get no SID message is normal?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Code PO245

Ok. back from garage totally confused:)

My mechanic before running the diagnostic process he changed ne of my wipers (i had a problem) and then sprayed with oil my door as it was a bit cracky when opening and closing it (i'm referring to these because maybe has a connection to what follows).
I turn the ignition switch to start up the car before the diagnosis and the car was not starting! (very strange to be such a coincidence that very moment). We tried three / four times but nothing. It was smelling of course much fuel after all these trials. No messages on the SID at all. He run the diagnostic in any case and the results were some like 10 codes (about injectors and things also relative to the fact that while trying to start up with no result there was much fuel injected inside - many related between each other as he told me). He cleared them up and then we tried with a second diagnostic machine. This came up with 4 codes. In the meantime he cleaned my sparks and let the car for a few minutes before trying again to start it. He reset the codes again and only one stayed which was PO245.
He tried to start it up with a bit of difficulty but it did finally! He suggested to me to take it to an electronic centre with which I contacted already, so to have a proper diagnosis why my engine light comes up and also this P0245 code appears (plus any other code that may arise). The impression my mechanic has is that is an oxygen sensor problem and that sometimes it gives much fuel to engine and sometimes less.
My questions are, how a coincidence can be that the vey moment i was at the garage the car didn't start (for the first time since yesterday with the engine light on) and also what is the PO245? Are both problems related? I will say something maybe stupid, but can it be possible that when the mechanic sprayed with a lubricant the door, the spray went on any sensors located close to door breaks and caused an instant shortcut wth result the car not to start up?? My appointment to the diagnostic centre is only next week so I have to live until then with the question mark if my car will be starting normally until then... I tried to start it up later tonight and it starts, but this doesn't mean anything, isn't it?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594073

P0245 can be an indication that the ECM is failing. Getting a used ECM with same part number and marrying to car might be a solution. Requires a TECH2 diagnostic tool. Definitely get a full diagnosis of what other codes might be present and report back here.

The door lubrication bit is just coincidental and nothing to do with code.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess at the diagnostic centre (although not specifically a Saab garage) they will know what to suggest me because I described the problem with engine light and they said they can help me without me being forced to go to a Saab Garage (that normally charge lot more on everything). Of course they need to see the codes because giving a code over the phone is not easy to check it out.
Is it difficult to get this ECM? What basically is this computer module and how serious problem is? This definitely can be the reason the engine light is on... The fact that the car just suddenly was not starting it is due to the ECM failing or just happened?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
and what is TECH2? Is it a different tool?
thanks so much for all the info!
Tech2 is the GM diagnostic tool used from 1996-2011+. It requires specific software cards for each "manufacturer". Saab was a GM brand for most of that timeframe. Genuine Tech2 units cost thousands of dollars along with subscription fees. There are many "clones" available that get around much if not all of these issues and cost less than $400 in many cases.

See this thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260738

In the US a used ECM can be found for less than $100 via eBay or car-part.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts