SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a used 9-3 with 45k miles on it. Have put no more than 100 miles on it, and the engine light is on. (I did get it inspected thoroughly by a Saab mechanic before I bought it, and the car looked to be in pristine condition.)

Not sure if this is related, but it happened after the car had been sitting idle (not driven) while we were on vacation for a couple of weeks.

I know you don't have a crystal ball, but are there certain issues that are more likely than others at this mileage? I don't fully trust the local Saab mechanic, so I want to have some idea of what to expect.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You need to get error code/s before we can assist. You should be able to borrow a scanner at any autoparts store for free.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Could be something as simple as a loose gas cap. Really no use posting until the code has been found. I'd recommend buying a obII reader online (~$40) and keeping it around.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks. Just ordered one via Amazon Prime, arriving tomorrow. I'll report back with the code.
If you have an auto parts store near you, most will scan your car for free. Have you checked your gas cap?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never mind. Found it.

The report was:

Fault: 01
Pending: 00

Then all it said was:

N/A
01/01

Does that mean it can't read the error?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just checked the gas cap. Not it.

Got the OBII reader. Where is the DLC in an '07 9-3?
It's under the steering wheel, near your right knee as you're driving the car.

Any time I hear that the CEL came on shortly after someone bought a car I assume the prior owner used a scan tool to clear the code, which is underhanded and sleazy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Never mind. Found it.

The report was:

Fault: 01
Pending: 00

Then all it said was:

N/A
01/01

Does that mean it can't read the error?
What kind of scan tool did you get? It might be that a cheap scan tool can't read the codes.

Take it to Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, or Pep Boys. They will hook their scan tool to your car and read your code for free.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I also recommend an Android app called Torque. It's incredible. But you need something like an ELM-327 ($50 on eBay) to plug into the diagnostic port. The Torque app communicates with the ELM-327 in real time through bluetooth. It will give you codes, coolant temps, intake air temp... you name it, it will show it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im really sorry but I honestly cant figure out how to post a thread? I need serious help with my Saab and I dont know how to post. Sorry to bother

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't know much about it when I bought it. Just picked one with good reviews off of Amazon. It's an Autel MaxiScan MS300.

Is that a cheap one?

I have an iPhone, not Android. Is there an equivalent app?

Although it sounds like it may be easier to just take to one of the auto parts stores.

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
normally plug the unit into the port then turn the ignition so all the dash lights up,don't start the engine..

as long as the reader is CAN compatible should be good to go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tried it with the engine on. Same result.

How risky is it to drive around with the engine light on? I live at the top of a very steep hill; I'm reluctant to drive it down to the auto parts store to get it scanned, then drive back home, then back to the Saab mechanic, etc.

Especially because the nearest auto parts store is 8 miles away.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Saw someone post this on the Amazon reviews. You could try this first. But if the car seems to drive fine then you can drive it with the light on, just take it easy.

1. With the ignition off plug it in. I immediately saw CAN OBD2 on the LCD.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. This is the position just before you crank the starter. Do not start the vehicle.
3. Then press the ENTER button on the reader which starts the scan.
4. Use the SCROLL button on the reader to view the results.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts