SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am a sucker for my Saab; I must be I put about 7K into it this year alone. New engine due to oil uptake tube being placed under catalytic converter among other major repairs. Sad :( 2001 9-3 btw.

Anyway, last night I drove for approximately an hour and the engine temp. gauge stayed on low the entire time, and the engine light came on. I was wondering before I dump even more money into it if anyone has any ideas/experience with something similar.

Thanks in advance,

Eliz.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It could be just a stuck thermostat. The CEL is probably a 'too slow to enter closed loop mode' code aka 'engine didn't warm up fast enough'

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Eliz,

Sorry to ask you to move over here, but those new generation 9-3 guys just post about buttons wearing out or seats squeeking, and seldom welcome a new poster.

Just wait until they are out of warranty! BTW, there are a few here that have spent $7-k on an old generation 9-3.

Welcome to the forum... Ron

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Get the code read at Autozone or AdvancedAutoParts and report back. As was posted earlier, it could be a faulty thermostat allowing the engine to run too cold, or it cold be the temperture sensor reporting that the engine is too cold, when it's not. Do you get much heat out of the heater?

I thought that S.F. got warmer in the cold months due to the influence of the Pacific... Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did have the heater on when it happened. I don't usually use the heater much. It was late and heat felt nice. I phoned my mechanic, who is fairly new to me, but I have been happy with.

When my oil lamp came on back in April I took it to two different Saab certified mechanics and one told me he couldn't replicate the problem and didn't know how to help me. The second said "it was proabably just a faulty switch" and put new brakes on my car, needless to say when 2 weeks later my engine seized I was not thrilled.

It was towed to a shop that works on Audi's and the mechanics there were nice enough to let me leave it there while I decided what to do. I decided to replace the engine and the Audi mechanics did it for 4K and referred me to this friend of theirs who was the first person who actually told me why my engine seized. The oil uptake valve being under the catalytic converter and baking the oil. So basically engine design.

Which was disappointing to learn that what could have been a $300-400 fix turned into a 4K. in addition to the stress and rental car and whatnot.

I need to drive the car this weekend, I have at least 2 hours of driving, my mechanic said he could check it on Monday, and I feel fairly confident that it is just the thermostat, but also frightened because of my experiences. My plan is to check the fluids, which should be fine I just got the vacuum pump replaced and go ahead and drive.

Going to the Autozone is a good idea though. I will definetly do that, I don't believe I have ever been to one and hopefully they have one near me. Going to check.

I wish I had joined this forum last year and then I wouldn't have had to replace my engine! I am not very knoweldgable about cars in general so I don't know if I could earn my keep here, but I really appreciate your help! ;ol;

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Eliz, unfortunately the Oil light on old generation 9-3's like yours is the first sign of impending doom. Check with Advanced, or Autozone or any other chain autoparts store. Most will read the codes for free. Just make sure to write down the codes and not what the store's reader translates the codes to, then post them... Ron

·
Registered
136 Posts
my new 04 9-3 has the same problem. im a mechanic and first thing i did was read the CEL and the thermostat will be done monday morning.;ol;

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will check it out tomorrow at my mechanic. I found out that in California it is not legal for auto parts stores to run diagnostics. :(

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I had the same problem minus the engine light the other day. Sitting the car was fine but driving down the interstate the temp wuld drop and the car would show cold,then the radiator fan would kick on. I was still getting heat though through the vents. I replaced the temp sensor and it fixed the problem. ($15.00 part) If that doesn't do it it is probably the thermostat which is stuck open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got it diagnosed the CEL code was P0116 which I was told was the "engine coolant temperature sensor" which is kinda a pisser as I just had the water pump replaced---

·
Registered
81 Posts
My girls car is having the same issue. Is it the temp switch that needs replacing? The heat works fine ruling out the thermostat I imagine. It only seems to happen when its cold out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I wrote is an exact quote from the mechanic, I wouldn't think a sensor and a switch are the same thing.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Hi everyone.

I am a sucker for my Saab; I must be I put about 7K into it this year alone. New engine due to oil uptake tube being placed under catalytic converter among other major repairs, This is impossible, but over the converter is bad enough from an engineering standpoint..this is a very high temperature area. Sad :( 2001 9-3 btw.

Anyway, last night I drove for approximately an hour and the engine temp. guage stayed on low the entire time, and the engine light came on. I was wondering before I dump even more money into it if anyone has any ideas/experience with something similar.

Thanks in advance,

Eliz.
The thermostat is a low cost every 3 to 6 years maintenance item. The warm up time should be but 3 to 6 minutes.
This is true for all vehicles.
Apparently, todays "mechanics" do not know this...
And I am due.
Thanks to Ron, this thread is now a favorite.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is tempting to make this a DIY project with all this help. I will let you know if I do.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
It is tempting to make this a DIY project with all this help. I will let you know if I do.

Thanks again.
It's easy and it took me about 10 minutes. If you want PM me and I'll leave you my cell # and you can call me when you are going to do the job and I will walk you through it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts