SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to tear down my 87 spg and wye is it, that i cant seem to find any pistons or rods available.I would like to go with forged internals if possible but where are they,

·
Registered
858 Posts
check ironjoe's and my project threads, there are many piston sets, but perhaps not so many rods. if possible use 90 or later pistons as they have better oiling design.

pierre

·
Registered
53 Posts
Call Wiseco pistons They built my foged pistons for $600.00. They will jut have you send them a stock piston so that they can take measurements off of and they will send it back to you with the set of forged ones. There # is 1-800-321-1364 ext.3106 This is sue's direct line she is the one who helped me get mine bult. She probibly has my original piston sizes in the computer so you wouldnt have to send them one. The sizes should be under the acount Justin Erickson. Make shure if you do go there not to get the exact same piston as I orderd because I made modifiations to it bacause I am runing a B212 block with 93mm pistons instead of 90mm pistons and I shortend the compression height because I am also running a 91 9000 2.3 crank with a longer 90mm stroke but she should have the original b202 piston measurments on file. Pluss they come with new wrist pins and new rings that are suposidly good up to 50 PSI of boost.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The gear box and motor are not 100% done yet. still need block bored and reasembled. The tranny is torn apart and I need money to build it. here is a link to my build thred over on SAABLINK http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41768

I will post up a build thread here too. sorry if im stealing this thread im not trying to just trying to get you the best price on the forged pistons. Most people carge a crapload of money for them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am runing a B212 block with 93mm pistons instead of 90mm pistons and I shortend the compression height because I am also running a 91 9000 2.3 crank with a longer 90mm stroke

Whooaa! You can't just throw that into the mix and not expect a few questions! I didn't think the 9000 crank fitted? I though it fouled on the gearbox? Again - pictures and details please! So that would mean you have a 2445cc engine?!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
the earler 9000's are 2.0L - B202 - slanted engine.
the 2.3L is a B234 - not a slanted engine
B234 cannot be fitted to a C900 becuase the clock is higher and it is straight, the crank hits the gearbox.

EDIT: type-O... clock = block....

·
Registered
406 Posts
the earler 9000's are 2.0L - B202 - slanted engine.
the 2.3L is a B234 - not a slanted engine
B234 cannot be fitted to a C900 becuase the clock is higher and it is straight, the crank hits the gearbox.

EDIT: type-O... clock = block....

uh, the early 9000's here (North America) are ALL 2.3 they only brought very few 2.0 9000's to north america. so yea, they are 2.3 just not B234 theyre B232

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
uh, the early 9000's here (North America) are ALL 2.3 they only brought very few 2.0 9000's to north america. so yea, they are 2.3 just not B234 theyre B232
What in the blazes are you on about? LOL

9000 was 2,0 B202 same as C900 engine until the B234 came out circa 1990

Was never a 2,3 without balance shafts since the engine would shake like crazy :)

I believe there are two B234's however, a bent block and a straight block (94+ for the NG900 and 9K)

·
Registered
406 Posts
sorry, i meant like the engine was the same shape, bent at the same angle, not that it diddnt have balance shafts!
and yes, the 2.3 came out in 90, but i havnt seen many 86-89 9000's here, so ive never really checked 2.0 or 2.3,

the 94+ cars, (9k and NG900) came with straight blocks. the older ones i believe are B232 or B231 ( because the B202 is the c900 block, the same angle would be the 2.3's first engine, so the B231 would make sense, but its a 16 valve, so it would be B232. at least thats what my logic, and my memory tells me

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
B = benzine = petrol
2x = engine capacity 20 = 2L, 23 = 2.3L etc..
1/2/4 = number of cam/balance shafts:

B201: petrol 2.0L single cam, 0 balance shafts.
B202: petrol 2.0L double cam, 0 balance shafts.
B212: petrol 2.1L double cam, 0 balance shafts.
B234: petrol 2.3L double cam, 2 balance shafts.

·
Registered
406 Posts
B = benzine = petrol
2x = engine capacity 20 = 2L, 23 = 2.3L etc..
1/2/4 = number of cam/balance shafts:

B201: petrol 2.0L single cam, 0 balance shafts.
B202: petrol 2.0L double cam, 0 balance shafts.
B212: petrol 2.1L double cam, 0 balance shafts.
B234: petrol 2.3L double cam, 2 balance shafts.
makes sense
i honestly diddnt know thats how it worked.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The crank dose not easly fit There was lots of measurements, clearancing, that had to go into fiting the crank into the block. You have to used a early 91-93 B234 block. It is a straight up and down block not slanted, They never had a slant B234 or any 2.3L for that mater. The largest avalible block in the slant version is the B212 91 and later non turbo 900s they have a 93mm piston compaired to the B202 with a 90mm piston. The crankshaft counter balance weights have to be shaved down on the B234 crank had a machiene shop do this for my but it is kind of pricy, then the complete asembaly has to be rebalanced. The block also has to be clearanced, you have to used rods from the B202 or B212 both the same rods, The B234 rods are to long and you canot get a piston made with that short of a compression height. The block also has to be clearanced because the botom of the rods hit the crank case and at the botom of the cylinder. It should not vibrate to badly because SAAB decided instead of balancing the rotating mass in the 91 and later non slant motors that they would just put balanceshafts into the cars. So having the complete rotating asembaly balanced will eliminate the vibration isue. Also running the lighter Forged pistons and the shorter and lighter B212 rods will also help. I am shure lots of tungson and heavier mettal will have to be added to the counterbalance weights to balance it but it will be verry doable. The motor is going back to gether at this point and may be up and running by next month.

·
Registered
53 Posts
makes sense
i honestly diddnt know thats how it worked.
Interesting But what about the B205 and B235 they donot have any more cams or balance shafts they just lightend the resipreicating mass and shortend the compression height of the piston and got rid of the domed piston and ran a flat top piston that didnt have as much quinch area.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Interesting But what about the B205 and B235 they donot have any more cams or balance shafts they just lightend the resipreicating mass and shortend the compression height of the piston and got rid of the domed piston and ran a flat top piston that didnt have as much quinch area.

thats what i was thinking too. i think the last number is just a number. not meaning anything

1 - 20 of 22 Posts