SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine hesitations - transmission slipping??

When idling sometimes the car has a hesitation, and then runs a bit rough as you pull away, it seems to clear and go fine. On cruising sometimes it feels like the auto is slipping, trying to change gear, but I haven't been able to figure if it is engine tune. It does have a hesitation under load, like up a steep hill. If it wasn't for sometimes running rough idling I would suspect the transmission.

And a small issue on the soft top, the rubber moulding that mates with the top of the windscreen has folded back in a few places. Is there anyway I can fix this without buying a new rubber strip?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And what is this

I found it lying on rail under the engine.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You found that *peice* sitting near the rail on the fuel inlet side , where the fuel hoses pass thru the turret of the wheel well there is a white pvc grommet to protect the fuel lines , that piece is the end of it , No need for real concern , the rast of it will be in place protecting the lines , just give it an eyeball , If it isnt there grab one from a junkyard .

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
rawill said:
When idling sometimes the car has a hesitation, and then runs a bit rough as you pull away, it seems to clear and go fine. On cruising sometimes it feels like the auto is slipping, trying to change gear, but I haven't been able to figure if it is engine tune. It does have a hesitation under load, like up a steep hill. If it wasn't for sometimes running rough idling I would suspect the transmission.
I presume you have an automatic?

On our automatic, uphills are a lot harder than in our manual transmission. There is perhaps a misfire, but this will depend on fuelling, mixture and the condition of your ignition electrics. A simple tune-up of new air and fuel filter, new spark plugs, leads, cap and rotor sorts out all manner of oddities. Following on from that, a new coil can rule out all sorts of other difficulties.

Here's a table of the spark plugs you can use:
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/Orca_Misc/saab_ngk2
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/Orca_Misc/saab_ngk1

A quick vacuum check by a garage (unless you have a vacuum gauge) will tell you a lot about the condition of your engine and help you rule out rough idling. I suspect a vac leak which manifests itself more clearly when under load.

... and here's a chart of what engine vacuum readings can tell you about you engine:
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/Orca_Misc/Vacuum_Gauge_Chart

rawill said:
And a small issue on the soft top, the rubber moulding that mates with the top of the windscreen has folded back in a few places. Is there anyway I can fix this without buying a new rubber strip?
You can buy some rubber treatment product, like Autoglym Vinyl Care. Spray it on, leave it a day or so ... spray more on and gently wipe the folds back. I did this on our convertible to good effect - it didn't crack, but do apply some and leave it a day, or so.

Good luck ... come back with more questions as you need.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellow Saabers

New air filter done 1st day I got it, plugs checked look like new, yes an auto. I used to have a vaccum guage, wonder if I can find it!!, thanks for the links, will check them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts