SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, my engine turns over a number of times before starting.

I noticed this in mid-winter on days when it was very cold. It's now been doing this every start for at least a month maybe a bit longer. I can't recall for sure (since I never had any reason to notice) but it seems to me that it used to fire up much easier.

I've replaced the plugs, but this has made no difference.

Anything else I should be looking at?

It does not make a difference if I allow the fuel pump time to prime, nor if the engine is warm or cold.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I don't think the short pulse of power to the fuel pump at ignition ON is enough to pressurize the fuel line. It may prime the pump, but that's it.

So, if the check valve at the tank leaks in the reverse direction (back in the tank), it takes a bit longer for the engine to start because pressure has to build up in the fuel rail.

(that's all assuming the battery is ok, etc.)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My father's suggestion was fuel pressure, also.

How would I check fuel pressure? Is there a fuel pressure regulator?

Perhaps I need to spend some time with the WIS.

Or not worry, since it does start every time.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
My father's suggestion was fuel pressure, also.

How would I check fuel pressure? Is there a fuel pressure regulator?
Mounted on the driver side end of the fuel rail, opposite end of the fuel line connections.

Checking fuel pressure on this car is not that easy. No convenient spot for a fuel pressure gauge, (which is why people end up trying to guess if their fuel pump failed). You have to separate the fuel line at the rail and insert another hose. Saab shows a kit in the WIS to do this.

I would still check the battery though, especially if it started doing this in the winter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'll start with the battery, as it's easiest.

I have SO many other thinks to do... no lie.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
It seems like you could jump a known good battery to your battery and see if that makes a difference in starting. That way you won't be buying one if you don't need it... Ron

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was my plan. Or a charger.

Perhaps I'll jump it off the Ford that's in the garage for a new spring...

·
Registered
332 Posts
So when you turn the key the revolutions are sluggish when compared to last Summer? Or, does it turn over fine but just doesn't want to actually start? If the engine is turning over fine when you turn the key I wouldn't suspect a battery issue.

That fuel line kit sound like it's worth setting up. Doesn't sound like it would be expensive and fuel pressure guages are not.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A number of things can cause this protracted/long starting time, one of which is a clogged or restricted exhaust or catalytic converter. This condition will also impede top end and cause mild overheating..If really bad, the engine will barely run, if at all.
Another is low compression.
Then there is a weak spark as well as low fuel pressure. A test - pull the FP fuse, see if she still starts using only residulal pressure. My '96 900S did,ran for 1 to 2 seconds...Then I installed a new filter, reinstalled the the fuse and started her up as I normally do. Still the start time was 2 to 3 seconds, the air in the filter and lines meant nothing - the FP passes every "test". Not really a good test of course....
Or we can have a weak battery and or a starter motor which is hogging too much available voltage. Voltage at the battary should drop by 2 (two) v during cranking.
Break out the gages and tools and stop watches.
And there are more causes...a common one is worn out plugs or igniters with a too wide gap.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assumed plugs, but there's no change with new NGKs at the proper gap.

After I check battery, I'll pull the FP fuse and check that out.

Looks like I need to get to work on the Ford to clear space in the garage...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts