SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading something about various oils the other day and the article mentioned that you can get a fully synthetic oil to use for flushing the engine, I think you empty your oil out then add the fully synthetic oil and run the car for 30 mins then empty it again and change the filter, supposedly it's will flush all the crap out along with the old oil, anyway it also said that it can completely knacker older cars as the crap in the engine helps seal it up.

Has anyone done it to their 900? Is it worth avoiding if you've got a few miles ont he clock?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well my car is running on fully synthetic and it likes it fine:cheesy:

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
I think the flushing oil is a very thin monograde synthetic. Nothing like normal engine oil.

I think that using a flushing oil could be asking for trouble. If it were me, I'd buy some cheap synthetic oil and a box of filters (they're cheap) and run a few sump-fulls of fresh oil through the engine over 200 miles or so. Then fit another new filter and refil with decent oil.

Would really like to hear from folk who've used flushing oil on their 900.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I wouldnt use Mobil 1 to flush an engine, not at £20 a can!

I wouldnt use a flush, i think it leaves a film on the engine and stays there which then gets mixed with the new oil?

I would use a cheaper semi synth oil like GTX and run it for 60 minutes or 50 miles to clean out the older oil, then leave the car over night and let it all drip down the plug, the engine would be really dry and then fill it with the synthetic oil.

Does this sound ok?

·
Registered
62 Posts
As far as synthetic goes, I switched to the supertech fully-synthetic 10W30 at 182,000 miles without any issues.

·
4,637 Posts
I use a flushing agent for most oil changes. It's a 500ml additive you put in the old oil, drive awhile and drain. The danger with using it on a high mileage that hasn't been flushed for a long time is that you can end up with a sump full of sludge which blocks the drain and the pickup tube requiring a sump drop {or engine out for us} to clean it out...

No leaks and running fully synth too...

·
Banned
637 Posts
Older Mechanics like to use Automatic Trans Fluid for engine flushing oil..Available, inexpensive and V good for this purpose.
It has Serious Detergent quantities and is 5 w Oil. Bearing that in mind It's best to only run the engine or be V gentle if yr gonna drive it.. a half hours running a 1/ 2 hour sitting followed by another half hour runiing will clean the Goo out of most engines.. harmlessly.
But this is not a Regular procedure.. it's to try and get the sludge out of a neglected engine. Sludge being the result of infrequent and often no oil changes, pure Sloth.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine flush

I'm thinking about doing it on the engine i've just put in my car, it's got 137k on the clock and has Saab service history to 115k (they did the 120k service).

I think i'll try running it for 30 mins on some cheaper synthetic then change it properly for Mobil1.

The auto trans oil idea also sounds interesting, if it works out cheaper than the low cost synthetic i'll give that ago.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I use a proper flushing oil every time a buy a used car - you fill it 1/2 full and run at idle on a hot engine for 10 mins and drain - do not drive or rev the engine. It's amazing what crap comes out. Then fill with whatever you like - if you have a Turbo there are no sensible reasons for not using a fully synthetic oil. It's arguable that regular oil changes at 3000miles are just as effective at cleaning and keeping the engine clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts