SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Driving home after a short distance (3 miles) just as I was going to park on the drive the car cut out. Lights on dash came on, including Engine Check. Tried starting it, and a screeching like sound came out, and smoke/steam from under the bonnet. Difficult to tell as it's pitch dark, and there was an acrid smell. Up to this point no warning lights on dash or anything. At this point I feel something terminal has gone! The engine does not leak, so do not suspect 'no oil' kind of thing. Last time I checked all levels where fine.

I'll have to investigate in the morning, and possibly call out the break down for a diagnosis. If anyone has any ideas, of things to look at, please drop a line, it will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Any motor vehicle with over 100K miles should have the hood opened at every gas fill up, at least once a month....in order to prevent these occurrences.

I was going to blindly utter "DIC" again, but your avatar states 900S...
And that is just a wild guess..
Another guess is the pulleys and belt, but this will not trip the CEL.....

·
Registered
980 Posts
Most likely one of the belt driven accessories or a pulley seized. The Check Engine light will come on under any type of stall situation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Managed to lay my hand on the torch. It is one of the belts that have snapped. All I can say is thank goodness it happened outside the house!! Being a very basic home mechanic I think this will have to go to a local garage. Access alone to reach the belts looks tight to say the least.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The car should start fine with the belt removed. Did the broken belt jam up in such a way that it prevents the engine from turning? If so, and you can remove the jammed pieces, it's OK to fire up the engine for 10 seconds or so to verify that the engine runs. Don't leave it running too long, as you're running without a water pump. You might want to try spinning all the pulleys and accessories by hand to see if one of them seized causing the belt to break. Could be the belt was just ready to fail. Kind of a shame to have to get the car towed if it's just the belt. It's an easy job if you regularly work on cars. Maybe you have a friend that could help you with it?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Good advice, Cadjamjim

Hey ! This is not a V6, is it ?:cheesy:

The I4 has but one serpentine belt, and a number of pulleys..If one pulley binds or seizes, then it is too late.
These pulleys should be changed every 50K as part of regular maintenance...

Low voltage during a stall will cause the CEL to glow...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cadcamjim and Earthworm for the advice. Not a good day all round, after just watching England lose the Rugby world cup :cry::x:cry:

I'll evaluate the situation tomorrow, and see what's best. I'll also look up tips of how to change a belt!

I think another beer to drown the sorrow's is required! Have a good weekend people...I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts