SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help,

I just got back home and my Saab 95 Areo engine has just failed!

I noticed some days ago when I was giving full throttle up a hill that the check engine flickered on the display. Once I let the throttle up a bit the Check engine light disappeared. Today after I had been driving quite hard (Not super hard) the engine stopped in front of a red light. I was very surprised, and restarted the engine. It started and I headed home. Close to my home I wanted to try if the engine was sensible to full turbo boost/full throttle and I tried a couple of times. The check engine comes on and the engine stopped. It did not star again. I managed to roll back home. I tried to start the engine again as I was parked and the check engine comes on and the motor stops just after a few seconds running. I can not hear any strange sounds from the engine. Neither did the engine temperature or the oil warning light come on. What can it be?

I just went down again and the motor starts but the check engine is on and the motor almost dies and the throttle corrects it and it comes back to idle, and then almost dies again and so on. I have been running the engine with 95 instead of 98 Oct lately. Can this have caused the failure?

What can the problem be? Turbo failure? Engine failure? Throttle failure?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi,

Check your vacuum pipes, going to your dump valve sounds like an air leak somewhere. If you follow the small pipe coming off the dump valve pull of the small pipe at the other end, suck on that pipe, you should find some resistance (as the diaphram on the dump valve pulls up) its good if you find no resistance you either have a leak on the pipe or the dump valve is faulty.

Also check the pipe going from the brake servo to the inlet manifold, the first place I would look for is something along those lines.

Hope that helps
Michael

·
Registered
527 Posts
As mentioned check all the vacumm hoses are in place. You maybe in limp home/safe mode, which will give a rough idle and cut power right back.

If nothing obvious - need to get car to garage and have the fault codes read.
P

·
Registered
679 Posts
Once you get checking the vacuum hoses and can confirm they are good/bad, then its time to check the fuel pump.

I suspect the problem is more like a leak on the vacuum hose.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I know this isn't about me, but I've been trying to locate exactly which hose I need to try to get air to move through and how to locate/replace my bypass valve (same thing as dump valve right?) if necessary. I have the V6 so if anyone has a picture, or could REALLY explain how to find it (I'm having a hard time), that would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
The engine obviously not getting good combustion. Its either spark, fuel, or air. I would check the spark plugs first, then the fuel filter. It could also be a sensor ie mass airflow. I would pick up a cheap obdII code puller or have an auto parts store pull it for you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hmm I've had an Air mass meter go on me, got the check engine light but it ran ok as far as I remember.

Whatever you check, I'd recommend starting with the simple stuff ruling that out and then moving onto the more exotic failuires :)

G

·
dicreamio said:
Hmm I've had an Air mass meter go on me, got the check engine light but it ran ok as far as I remember.

Whatever you check, I'd recommend starting with the simple stuff ruling that out and then moving onto the more exotic failuires :)
A mass airflow sensor can fail completely but it can also malfuction and send inaccurate readings causing the fuel delivery to be too rich or too lean.

as for the bypass valve theory
He should be still be running, especially at idle with a leaky bpv.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds like when my DI died on me to be honest it did that exact same thing. check and see if the code is for mutiple/random misfire

·
Registered
679 Posts
"I just went down again and the motor starts but the check engine is on and the motor almost dies and the throttle corrects it and it comes back to idle, and then almost dies again and so on. I have been running the engine with 95 instead of 98 Oct lately. Can this have caused the failure?"

From reading this it seems he is still running... all be it lumpy and not idling to well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds just like when my DI catridge went. There's a recall on this part in the US and UK (don't know about Switzerland) and your vehicle is in the right age range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts