SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Symptoms while the hose is popped out of the engine: No brakes or clutch while driving!

The hose goes from the brake booster to a one-way valve and then dips into the engine like a straw. There is a red plastic bushing that pops into the engine hole, then that straw-end of the hose slides into that. There doesn't seem to be a way to get the hose to pop in there in a way that would not pop out again.

I have it rigged now so that it is physically unable to move out of the engine, but this is my daily driver and I need to fix this so its safe to drive. What do I replace?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The red bushing is what needs to be replaced. That's the part that wears out and keeps the vacuum pipe from staying put. The part you need is 55557389. It's the entire vacuum fitting for the intake manifold, but since you only need the bushing, you can toss everything else.

·
Registered
9-3 02 190K 900SE 98 90K
96 Posts
My old booster did this because of a bad check valve and it would pop off the intake manifold connection when driving hard, turbo.
I would blow air in and check to make sure the brake booster works first. If it does then I suppose any small fix (even a rubber band) would provide enough support to keep the booster in place.
$54 for your replacement booster on eeuroparts. Partsgeek has a later-model version for $20 (same connections, same check valves) but you would have to cut the pipes and connect them to rubber hose to make it fit.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, I fix cars like I deliver parcels, I brake them open and then put a strip of tape over the top to cover the damage.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The red bushing is what needs to be replaced. That's the part that wears out and keeps the vacuum pipe from staying put. The part you need is 55557389. It's the entire vacuum fitting for the intake manifold, but since you only need the bushing, you can toss everything else.
I found this part that matches that SKU: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/28401/Bushing-Vacuum-Hose-55557389/

But that is not the part I have in the hole in the engine. Its simply a red plastic washer, with tabs coming down that pop into the hole to stay put. I'll take a picture when I get home. The thing is, I don't know if is supposed to actually hold that hose into the engine, but there is nothing else present that would 'hold' it down.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
That is the thing you need. You remove all the black parts and use just the red part. I don't think the red part is available separately.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why no clutch? Loss of power assist shouldn't kill the clutch.
I sure don't have the answer, that's just how I found out that there was a problem.

I was driving along, had some weird idle issues at a stop light, was able to start the motor again after it stopped, and a little while later I found out that I couldn't brake or use my clutch. Luckily I avoided the car turning in front of me, and used my ebrake in an uphill parking lot to stop. My brakes felt like they did nothing.

My guess was that there is some kind of issue related to sharing a hydraulic fluid reservoir, but I don't really know. I torque brake a lot so that probably doesn't help.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the thing you need. You remove all the black parts and use just the red part. I don't think the red part is available separately.

Oh weird, ok. I guess there are little tab/flanges coming off the red ring that isn't visible in the photo?

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
The little push connects are really cool. Kind of a pain when they fail, but that happens so infrequently it's not worth worrying about.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The little push connects are really cool. Kind of a pain when they fail, but that happens so infrequently it's not worth worrying about.
Yeah I thought that was neato. I'm going to order another one to put in my backup box, with my spare cps ha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts