SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a year 2000 9-3S. The car has 70K miles on it and recently I have been having one problem after another. First, my head gasket failed and had to be replaced. Now, my timing chain lost tension causing damage to the valves and to the cylinders themselves. Does anyone know of a good place to have saab engine work done in the San Francisco Bay area?
thanks for your advise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey i jus recently got my 04 9-3 from ellis brooks but the one time it got serviced was at B&B saab in santa clara. Even though my aftermarket intake was not covered by warranty, they only charged me 250 bucks to fix something that took them about 2 days to figure out. But if you are not willing to drive all the way down 2 santa clara, i would recommend ellis brooks just because of the good service they offer.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Oh Boy !

Given that the chain is good for 75 to 150K***; at 70K miles, maybe, just maybe it should have been changed.
With the head removal, half the work is done already. Knowing what I know now, I would have pulled and measured the tensioner......
*** only a estimate...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I had the head gasket replaced, I asked the mechanics at the SAAB dealer if it was a good time to replace the timing chain, and they told me not to - that it should last the life of the car. Since I have never had a car with a timing chain before (just timing belts) and not having a service manual myself, I trusted what they told me - 6 weeks later the damage was already done.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Where in california are you? There is a Saab salvage yard in Rancho Cordova near Sacramento. You could get a used engine for less than 800 there. The timing chain usually lasts much longer than that. The one on my 97 900 lasted 173,000 miles before someone totalled it. Perhaps when they put together the head they didn't install the chain correctly? The only way it could loose tension is if the oil pressure dropped suddenly, causing the hydraulic tensioner to stop tensioning the chain. I personally go to Saab Replay in Berkely and also Swedish Auto Factory in Santa Clara. They are both very reputable shops. Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts