SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had just got my 89 spg back today from the shop a few things have been replaced(ball joint, tie rod end, cooling fans, new hoses ect.) Everything was fine. idle was fine all the new parts seemed to be working correctly until i was driving normaly and decided to stay and second gear and watch the rpm's fall, as soon as they fell to about 1 the engine would turn off. this seems to be happening every time i let the car slow down in gear it also happened with the clutch down. Some help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just realized this is happening only when the brake is applied after heavy acceleration. anyone please?

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
The vacuum generated by the brake servo is stalling the engine. I'm guessing you have manual brakes rather than the ABS system?

There should be a hose running from a take-off on the inlet manifold to an inlet on the brake servo. Check that hose, make sure everything is ok there.

Check the closed throttle position isn't too low. Engine should idle at around 850rpm. If you are idling at perhaps 600rpm then you are trying to idle too slowly and that does not leave enough air in the inlet manifold for the engine to continue to run when the brakes are being pressed as well.

Failing all of above, try cleaning out oil and depostis from the throttle and intake system. May be the case that less resistance in the intake system would allow better running at closed throttle / decceleration time and thus assist with this issue.

I'm fairly sure I have identified your problem correctly, but the solution may be a bit more tricky as it will more than likely be something fairly subtle that will sort it out. Just some small maintenance / careful adjustments.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot, i will be removing the throttle body today and im going to give it a nice cleaning and inspection. Also, i will be inspecting the mentioned areas and i do not have abs.

thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts